With the oldest GTV6 nearing 40 years in service, a forum to document projects and restoration seems sensible.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Re: SA GTV6 2.5 restoration and few minor mods !

Post by 75evo »

Bloody fantastic Kev. Looking forward to seeing this car next year. Hoping to drag Mike Harris along with me.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Hi Sportiva . All GTV 6's and the last GTV 2.0 that were made in South Africa came with 5 bolt hubs. The previous owner did not like the wheels that were on this GTV6 and due to limited options on a 5x98 pcd he changed the hubs. I have how put the original 5 bolt hubs on and sold those wheels. I must say I did like them a lot but I wanted to put its original parts back and I have two very nice sets of wheels ready to put on. I have set of 15" compomotives ( 3 piece five star FX ) and a set of Revo's.

Alfa South Africa did do some strange things and there were quite a few of these GTV 6's that came with a 14" rim. This car was one of them and I still have its spare wheel in the boot. It's very understandable why the owner did change :)

Attached is pic of the original spare wheel. Makes me wonder how the previous owner would have dealt with a puncture but then again he barely used the car.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (127.75 KiB) Viewed 4746 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (180.03 KiB) Viewed 4746 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (138.83 KiB) Viewed 4927 times
Last edited by KevinR on Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Hey Z, thanks ! You should try join us this year to go to Zandvoort to the Spettacolo. Alex and I were talking about it this week.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Finally got my brake disc parcel from my store where it as posted to ! Had few hours today to assemble before its back to work tomorrow. The long summer evenings allow about three hours every day to get some progress.
I will coat the bells of disc with paint as I hate seen these rust here in the UK.
I put some copper grease on back of pad. Some say it stops brake squeal but I do it so it does not stick to piston from the salts on roads. Sometimes is put very thin wipe on edges as well. It's like a whole new ball game prepping a car for the UK climate compared to SA.
A thin wipe of grease between the hub and disc as well will make life easier to separate few years down the line.
Note my five bolt hubs going back on !
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (139.17 KiB) Viewed 4926 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (149.87 KiB) Viewed 4926 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (148.39 KiB) Viewed 4926 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (160.69 KiB) Viewed 4926 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (142.21 KiB) Viewed 4926 times
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Soon it's time to start fitting parts and get the car on its wheels but still loads of small items to do.
One small item which is really important is the gear change starting with the gear lever. Some people do a quick shift I'm thinking to rebush the linkage as per new and then see how necessary it is to have it on this 2.5. Having the quick shift shortens the throw but I'm going to bend the gear lever about 20mm closer towards the driver. This and new bushes should feel really good and not like you have to lean forward to change gears. New synchros in the box and it could all feel like new.

Good news was EB spares keep a replacement bush and inset. So I am starting there. I have also found Highwood Alfa UK also stock these replacement bushes. Note the lower gear lever gaitor that's also now for sale !
I used a small socket to tap old nylon insert out. This car is of very low mileage so their is no wear through the nylon into the steel.

Notice the yellow paint mark on gear lever housing. This is another factory marking on SA cars on inspection prior delivery.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (147.84 KiB) Viewed 4814 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (92.18 KiB) Viewed 4909 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (147.15 KiB) Viewed 4909 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (133.93 KiB) Viewed 4909 times
Last edited by KevinR on Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

I had a new gear lever boot but the original is in perfect condition so it will be used. Where the lever attaches to gearbox I have found serrated flange nuts never let me down as have had these come loose before. In my box spares from many years ago I still have an original gear knob.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (151.98 KiB) Viewed 4908 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (162.38 KiB) Viewed 4908 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (152.1 KiB) Viewed 4908 times
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

While the gear lever was out i bent it towards the driver by 20mm so it does not feel like you getting out your seat to put it into first gear.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (160.96 KiB) Viewed 4908 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (152.41 KiB) Viewed 4908 times
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

Hey Kevin, nice work. I think I need to do the same regarding bending the lever towards the driver. Did you have to heat the lever prior to bending or just brute force?
Cheers :)
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

It’s quite easy to bend with a sleeve pipe over it . There is a plumbers bending tool that you can use to bend it while it’s still in the car.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Jumping a bit to bodywork and trim while I wait for parts. I started on bumper brackets which have just been powder coated. But before these go on I have vacuumed out the loose dirt in the chassis rails then spayed some dinitrol anti corosion spray.
I have this spray pretty strong but ideally would be nice to have a long nozzle to go inside but this still sprays up to 1.5 metres .
Every cavity during assembly will be sprayed with Dinitrol .
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (152.74 KiB) Viewed 4875 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (161.61 KiB) Viewed 4875 times
Last edited by KevinR on Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

These rubber plastic trim parts I think are only for the South African market as have not seen them on any UK cars. Not sure about Austarlia ? ?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (144.47 KiB) Viewed 4875 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (152 KiB) Viewed 4875 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Nice work Kevin.
As far as I know, I do not recollect seeing that extra plastic filler in local cars.
What I do know is that JK could use some of that cavity wax you are using... :mrgreen:
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

That’s so funny ! I don’t think Jk will take that lying down !
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Haha. JK is so old he'll take it any way he can. :mrgreen:
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Been a bit slow lately with hectic work. Horrible when work gets in the way of hobbies!!
I have moved on to the gearbox which needs a few synchros replaced. The gearbox was pressure cleaned while in the car so was basically grime free also due to its low mileage and lack of oil leaks upfront.
Pics shows the surface with light corriion after clean.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (120.81 KiB) Viewed 4811 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (142.36 KiB) Viewed 4811 times