Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

MD: Like my car you mean? GTV 2000. :)

Michael: I'm just monkeying around, don't mind me... ;)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

MD,

Just got through working with Dawie on a 2.0 project in a beautiful green 2.0 litre "GTV6" (yes, in South Africa - as in Europe) we had these cool looking GTV6 2.0s with Alfetta hoods, but in GTV6 trim (black rear triangular quarter, chin spoiler etc...)

We built the motor for Turbo specs. I had to special order 5mm longer Carrillo rods made up here for it as well as modified clearance, Ross racing forged alum pistons to go with it. Dawie did final machining and valve-releases!

This runs a 159 type variable cam motor and .8 BAR is where we ended our screwing about. Below is a nice pic - enjoy!

84mm bore with stock FACTORY sleeves - (just like in an Autodelta over-size piston/liner kit...!)

Also, for the NA 4 x 4 cylinders that we just built for SOVREN racing, we did 302 degree cams with 12mm lift :shock: Old "Isky" profile with nothing below 2300 rpm on the NA motors, but man! Above 2500 - hold on! We are running 12.5 compression with Dawie's special steel-ring inserts! (Could have gone 13 or even 14:1...!)

Next engine we build (I4 or V6) will use Pauter rods - half the price but what a beautiful, pointed, slim - but strong - profile!!! (Windage issue addressed with this profile connecting rod.)

Total Seal gapless rings FOR SURE! 45 Webers. 165 main jets (at 6000 foot), but we will see what they like when they get here to sea-level.. Small choke-tubes! Minimal head porting but nice final finish! 1mm larger valves.

SOVREN does not allow it, but from here I would go with EFI, 2.5 Milano injectors, 4 ITBs, crank-trigger and a Gotech programmable fuel/spark engine management system to take this further...
Attachments
GTV6.2.0.a.jpg
GTV6.2.0.a.jpg (83.24 KiB) Viewed 9887 times
GTV6.2.0.b.jpg
GTV6.2.0.b.jpg (67.82 KiB) Viewed 9887 times
GTV6.2.0.c.jpg
GTV6.2.0.c.jpg (81.5 KiB) Viewed 9882 times
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Nice - is that Glenwood Motors in the background?
Michael
1981 GTV6
MD
Verde
Verde

Race Cars and Track Preparation

Post by MD »

I gotta eat some humble pie here.

My accumulation of Alfa knowledge has been slow and over time I have come to know the general groupings of the productions series-or so I thought.

I originally thought that there was the 101 series, followed by the 105 series all of which were rear wheel drive and front mounted gearboxes.

I then understood that the 116 series were all the transaxle cars which included ALL the transaxles as a series. Matts kindly pointed out that I was a birdbrain 'cause the 75's are a 162 series. I have learned something yet again from this forum. A little bit of humble pie never does you any harm.

What is at issue here is JJ's reaction which is regretable for me as from my original viewpoint, I never imagined that the Chapter would exclude any transaxle cars as long as they were Alfas.

I just wanted to get that off my chest.

I see that Michael has made the necessary steering changes so one assumes that we are moving on..

Hope you're cool with that JJ and thanks for the pie Big
Swede.

PS I essentially see that now we have all three blocks of interests covered.
1 The restorers who want to go genuine and need info and interaction.
2 The street boys who want a tough transaxle to mix it with anyone.
3 And we now have a the third group who want to go outright racing.

What a great package !!

Surely anyone can see that the creation of this Chapter is not an exclusive club but an inclusive forum that enhances the great site we all love and share now.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
MD
Verde
Verde

Race Car

Post by MD »

Hey Matts

Mate, I am at the bottom step in making a racing 2.0 litre Alfetta and yes I would be happy to get any worthwhile specs even from a bent Swede. :D

JJ

Just love the info. It's this level of detail that is helpfull when racers want to do some planning about which way to go. Thanks
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

...no issues here...happy...keepin it light....just trying to provide the info for MD on 2.0 rebuild ingredients...all cool...

As a side-note - Our two projects have now both gone to the "full-race" catagories.... (Jes now too...) Future motors on order also looking at solid lifters even!

No interiors; full roll cages etc etc.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Live and learn... Nobody knows it all. ;)
I figure I'm about a 1 on a 1-10 scale on the tech knowledge of Alfas (transaxle), no illusions here. Still trying to figure out why my car is so damn easy to drive. :o

But please guys, keep this strictly track and race, no cars with license-plates...
IMO a "trackday car" that is driven on the street is not something that fits in this category.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MD
Verde
Verde

Race cars

Post by MD »

Yep agree Matts.

When I said I was looking for specs/ingredients call them what you will, this is what I meant.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthr ... ht=roberto

Unfortunately it is for a 105 but its worth a look nevertheless !!
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

no cars with license-plates
:twisted: Pffff, what no license plates, come to the ring and I show you no licence plates (when I 'm ready with my 2000 hp TS) :mrgreen:
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Ok, to be honest my car has license plates too but that is because I then can sneak in on "roadcar" track events, it's an insureance thing.
The point was that this forum is for cars modified purely for track use and without thinking "will this work with the speedbump on my way to work"...

A racecar you wouldn't even consider to drive on the road just because it won't work! Too hot, forget driving without ear protection, cooling won't work unless driving over 50Km/h, wheel alignment totally SUCKS on the road and you sit so low you can't see $hit, the least problem is the "teeth shattering ride" which usually is the thing people complain about when they think they drive a racecar on the road... :lol:

Sorry about the lecture/speak but I think we need to be honest so we don't have to deal with this sort of stuff in every thread.
Does anybody disagree with my definition of a "track and race car"?

Nürburgring might be called a road but I know for a fact it is also called a racetrack quite often during the summer... :twisted:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

John,Can you send me other mail addr.plse.Discs are with Dawie.
He will chat to you tonight
Need to know qty. bolts/nuts for discs..

Sorry guys.
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

MD,

there was already something about a 2.0 engine on another thread. Suspension has already been discussed as well.

I'm glad to help (and be helped) but telling everything I've done to my car would take a week. Actually, if you can read Finnish you can read everything in my Master's Thesis. Its 110 pages should be freely available at Helsinki University of Technology ;-)

Goosh, I have a better idea. Jim could translate it to his next book and correct all the stupid things I wrote as well :lol:
MD
Verde
Verde

Race Cars

Post by MD »

I guess this Chapter will naturally evolve if there is a genuine calling not just from myself and a few others but the wider fraternity. Otherwise it will just die in the bum from a lack of support. So I suppose time will tell what the real needs are.

Matts to keep to things simple, I don't think there is any doubt that we are talking about Racing Cars and nothing but cars designed,configured,built,tuned and equipped for the one express purpose of racing.

Whether the owners of these cars truck it,fly it, lower it on a rope, send it by fax and reconstitute it at the other end or do the simple thing of driving it to the track is neither here nor there. The question is, is it a race car? If the answer is yes then this Chapter is for you and me.

I would like to believe that our contributors have enough intelligence to make this simple distinction. At the end of the day all that is being done is to filter information. No opportunity is being denied to any contributor if they are registered and wish to make a contribution. All that is happening is that the information is being channelled to a more specific location for easier access -that's all.

I imagine the role of the moderator could be to gently usher users in the ways of the site and advise certain contributors to access different parts of the forum if the contribution was not appropriate until such time as things got into a natural groove.

Having said that, I feel the protocols should be clear enough and we should be settling down to actual contributions for what the Chapter is about instead of discussing semantics and boring readers sheitless. I include myself in this line but I have taken the trouble just to help bed in the original idea which isn't even mine but I quickly saw that it was something that had a lot of merrit. However, after this post let the chips fall where they lie as I will not be saying any more on the subject as I said because it is too much about process and not enough about substance and it would better if we can just move on.

Now if I could only read Finish..
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Michael, yep! That's Glenwood in the background...

Barry, thanks - check you PM or your email (away from the shop right now...) but my email is john@reginaceleste.com

You can also reach me via www.glenwoodalfa.com (It was gingerly "suggested" that I eliminate the entire "commercial interest" issue by getting a website together for the engine stuff from South Africa...)

How exactly this will now make me a "non-commercial" interest, I am not exactly sure of however, being the good follower that I am and given that this is and has always been Dawie's deal, I have helped launch Glenwood Alfa Performance North America,

Project pages, updates, pictures, links etc to follow there...
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Race today, video will follow and from what I saw of it, it's spectacular. :D

Some pics:
http://www.alfapower.nu/gallery/album726
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!