fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Need BiG help on a V6 conversion

Post by fedezyl »

First hello to everyone, a little introduction first, i'm from Montevideo, Uruguay in South America, i'm the proud owner of a 1981 Giulietta 1.6 and a 1971 Giulia Berlina under reconstruction that should be ready for painting at the end of July, the 1.6 engine will go into that car, with some modifications.
I was toying with the idea of putting a V6 into the Giulietta, so I bought a 164 V6, problem is, besides it being FWD, the flywheel, I can't get a 75 V6 flywheel here, well pretty much anywhere in South America, since they weren't imported either here, or argentina or brazil, so I was thinking, is it possible to adapt the 164 flywheel in order to use it as a 75 V6 flywheel? in any case, I need every tip available for this conversion, if anyone here has done it, or if it's similar or the same as putting a V6 into an alfetta GTV.

In any case thanks a lot for any help, i'll post some pics of the work in progress on the Giulia by the end of the week...hehe

Cheers
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

You will also need an oil pump and oil pan in addition to the flywheel, plus the starter motor, bellhousing, driveshaft and exhaust manifolds as a minimum from the 75 or gtv V6. The cable harness is also different for rwd but this is nothing compared to the other stuff. Why not try to locate a dead 2,5 or 3,0 motor and wait for it, before you start on all this?
Jim K.
MD
Verde
Verde

Engine

Post by MD »

Just to add a couple of things that the Greek Guru has said.

You will need a substitute distributor to locate it up front like in the GTV6 as the one on the 164 can foul the firewall area. You will also need to install a return line to the fuel tank for an injected engine.

You will also need V6 engine mounts which are a spare part. The original mounts need to cut off and V6 mounts installed. This requires some care to get the correct location so that the installation of the driveline will have the correct spacing between the transaxle and the engine.

The front doughnut on your driveshaft has also to be changed for a three litre unit.

Finally in a hot climate like yours, you may need to modify the radiator to give it extra volume by increasing its length and core width.

As Jim has tried to suggest to you, getting an engine from a rear wheel drive donor car would be preferable but if that's not possible, well you have some thing to go on , cheers.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Hi, thanks for all the answers, seems a little trip to Europe is inevitable, trouble on finding a dead 2.5 or 3 liter is that that is impossible, here they were never officially imported either here or in Argentina, or Brazil or Chile, or pretty much anywhere in South America. The good thing is that i'm an airline pilot, so flying to spain or europe is pretty cheap for me, I just need a list of things I need to bring back before I make the trip. As far as the radiator goes, i'm planning on getting a custom one made here, that's the good thing about here, it's cheaper to get something custom made than importing it. As far as the oil pump and oil pan I assume it just doesn't fit on the giulietta. I already have a return line installed, since I was having some problems with the carburators flooding, I installed an electric fuel pump and had too much fuel pressure and the needle valves weren't holding very well...
As far as the weather here, Uruguay is in 35ºS so our weather is pretty much like in the UK or the atlantic coast of france.

Anyways, thanks for the tips, also, as far as I know i'm the first one to do this conversion here so....any help is very very very welcome, if you could please provide me a list of stuff that I absolutely must get I really appreciate it, I know the ideal thing is to have a 75 or GTV6 donor, but given that that is pretty much impossible I need to know what stuff to buy in Europe in order to make this conversion, hehe

Thanks to everyone for the tips!
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Hello,

if machining and customparts are relatively cheap there you can have the sump modified to fit (see the Performance list, GTA into GTV). it is also possible to use the 164 flywheel, just fabricate a coupling for the donut onto it and have it balanced properly. The wiring harness can be made to fit. The inlet manifold has the throttleplate on the wrong side, cut it off, weld the hole shut, make a hole on the other site and place it there.

The distributor is the only real problem i can think off right now.

It is a lot of work to make it all happen, hope it all comes together for you!

Good luck!!
Drive it like you stole it...
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

hehe, cool, thanks for the tips mate! that's a lot of help, i'm probably making as many custom things here, since it's really really cheap compared to bringing the stuff from europe, i'm still buying a gotech ecu, since I don't have the 164 ecu, or do you have any other custom ecu's to reccomend?
As far as the distributor, I think a hole can be made on the firewall and then cover it with a custom plate, with screws so it can be taken out, this is just an idea with no real foundations, no one has ever done this over here, or even thought about it really, so any help and tips are very welcome.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Perhaps you can mount the 164 distributor on the camshaft pulley? Gotech sounds good!
Drive it like you stole it...
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Yes, that might be a possibility, i'm in the blind here so i'll just see when I start the conversion in a couple of months, the car is at the body shop getting repaired and painted at this moment, so i'm just gathering as much info as I can on the conversion, trying to make things at least a little bit easier when I actually do it, hehe