elite38868
Silver
Silver

How to remove the momo steering wheel

Post by elite38868 »

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post here.

I'm in the process of replacing my ignition switch and I need to remove the steering wheel. I took the nut off and the thing is stuck on there. My dad says a steering wheel puller won't work unless it has 2 small holes on either side of the stud, which I don't see.

Does anyone know how I would take this off? It is a momo steering wheel and hub.

Thanks for your help!
92' 164S - Euroizer
91' 164L - Auto
81' GTV6 3.0
71' Spider 1750
jrreeve
Gold
Gold

Post by jrreeve »

Just did mine...and i used a special technique called the "snatch and grab" technique. It involved yanking the wheel off as straight as possible. I would not recommend hitting the center spindle with a hammer or anything to break because you'll trash the threads.

Rob
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

elite38868

Simple enough job but hard to put into words that makes an action image. 10 sec video would be all you need.

OK here's a go.

Sitting behind the wheel as if you are going to grab it as usuall in the 10 to 2 position. Clentch both fists but do not grabb the wheel. In a rapid pounding motion, strike the circumference of the wheel with your clenched fists in an alteranting pounding and at the same move this pounding fully around the wheel.

An alternative is to use your open palms and pound rapidly and vigorously around the circumference as before alternating the pounding on opposite sides. Do this about a dozen times but be aware you could develop some pain here.

The whole idea is to crack the binding of the splines by vibration.

Once you have stopped the pounding, take a firm grip at the 9-3 position and pull directly up. Hopefully it will come off. Do this several times more if it doesn't. Take care not to smack yourself in the face with it if it lets go suddenly while you are trying to lift it off ! :D

Ultimately, it doesn't come off, you may have to cave in and either make a puller or hire one.

The important thing is after you take it off and before you refit anything, be sure to use a good quality anti thread seize paste on the steering spline so that in the future it will rip off faster than a good methane powered by the humble baked bean !! :lol: :lol:

Good luck.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
jrreeve
Gold
Gold

Post by jrreeve »

Hmm...the anti-seize would have been a good idea!!! Doh!