mjr
Platinum
Platinum

30 mm front sway/roll bar mounts

Post by mjr »

Anyone have any photos of the modification required for extra bracing of the front roll bar chassis mounts?

what is the best scheme/place to weld in extra support.?
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

http://performatek.com/frOnlineCatalog.htm

Navigate to the 116/119 suspension section, and fine the anti roll bar weld in plates. I think this is the easiest way to go about it, the fitment is good.

One issue with the 30mm bar is it weighs a ton. I had one at some point, but I sent it back. I think it must weigh something like 40lbs plus.
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

grant

thanks, I didnt know you could buy them ready made, that saves me fashinong a set up. why did you send your 30mm bar back? what make was it?
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

RSR. There was no way I was going to mount a 30mm front sway bar with my stock 98lb/inch torsion bars. It's friggin huge!

It just seemed like an extreme amount of stress on the front chassis. I drive hard a lot, I think something would eventually break.

I ended up buying a 28mm RSR bar and a 26mm rsr rear bar. But this was only after I bought Shankle 27.3 mm torsion bars and matching rear springs. (that sucked for me BTW...well at least for track use. It was pretty fun on the street).

I have RSR front coilovers and 350lb/inch rear springs from a camaro. NOW, I would like a 30mm front sway bar. I'm only now comfortable with having a thicker sway bar since the front coilovers are handling most of the forces due to roll.
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

Ah ok, I assumed you were running coil over set up. yeah i think 30mm front bar is probably a bit extreeme for a standard set up.