Carl Friedman
Silver
Silver

Growling wheel bearings

Post by Carl Friedman »

Very growly at 40-45pmh on my Milano (161k miles)...thought it was the rear end but buddy said to see what happens to noise in turns. Well, growl goes away in right turns and gets louder in left turns. Can I assume front wheel bearings or something in the rear amiss?

I knew I should have stuck with Fiats!
Carl....in Virginia
bmacf
Gold
Gold

Post by bmacf »

Carl, you never told me your Milano makes THAT MUCH noise. Lets test it out tomorrow. We could try my set of wheels on your car in case its tire noise.

Bill in Maryland
Bill in MD
'88 Alfa Milano Verde x 2
'77 Fiat Spider
Hippo58
Silver
Silver

Post by Hippo58 »

Carl, I have the same problem with my 75. Though in turns it is the opposite. At left turns it stops and when going right it growls more... In my case it is the right rear wheel bearing. Maybe yours is the left one :wink:

Good luck.
Petros. Transaxleista!
Carl Friedman
Silver
Silver

Post by Carl Friedman »

Changing front wheel bearings made no difference so I'll look into changing rear bearings.....and also changing tires.

Is changing rear bearings really not a do-it-yourself job?
Carl....in Virginia
Hippo58
Silver
Silver

Post by Hippo58 »

You will need several "special" tools to do the job yourself. Visit http://www.users.on.net/~craigf/ and click on the "tools page". There are 4 tools in clickable green color that are needed for the job.

So you have to either find the original AR tools (very difficult) or fabricatre your own or find generics that suit (hub puller). You will then need the workshop manual to go through the procedure. This has surely been covered before so do a keyword search especially in the old forum. You will get the procedure, hints and tips!
Petros. Transaxleista!
fuzzysi
Silver
Silver

Post by fuzzysi »

hi,

i did my rear bearings on my 75 a little while ago and its not that hard, just be well prepared,

get a good puller to push the bearing through the hub

and use a proper tool to undo the retaining rings

drop me an email, i can help there if you have the non castelated retaining ring.

also a really long bar to undo the 36mm hub nuts. dont forget one has a backwards thread (i cant remember which!). i used a 3/4 inch drive socket after breaking my 1/2 inch stuff.

have fun

simon
Alfa 75 2.5V6
Alfasud 1.5SC
Reale
Gold
Gold

rear bearings

Post by Reale »

You can also use big sockets and allthread to press the new bearing in.
An impact wrench makes the hub nut easy.
Al Mitchell
Reale Motorsports
#82 E Production
Alfa Romeo GTV6