gtv11636
Gold
Gold

Post by gtv11636 »

Dear Micke

Your car use a full roll cage isnt it ?

The question is, wont it couse cracks if I put only a straut brace without any other modifications ? I cant remeber who but I think I once told that the forces from the Upper Shock towers will go Down to the a beams and couse cracks over time.

Anyone has a long time experience with a strut brace installed without a roll cage ?
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Thanks Micke,
I'm calling the distributor tomorrow for the z211. Given past experience with these clowns, they'll probably require us to order a whole container of tires...
Jim K.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

JimK,

Z211 is out and used for the "Spec Miata" series here. Z214 coming out. (looks like slicks to me) but Hankook claims "DOT Legal" (usually referring to non-full slicks. Z211 very well accepted by lots of racers due to longevity and grip.

BTW, another benefit of strut brace, keeps plenum from poping and denting your hood/bonnet. Defintely win-win situation.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Hahah! Right on Z, first time that happened on me years ago (I had the plug wires wrong) when I was trying to start the car with the hood open, man, I nearly had a heart attack!! :lol:
Yeah, a strut brace will stop that, all right! :lol:
I saw the z214, it sure looks good for a slick with 2 grooves, but its still road-legal, heheh! :twisted: See this:
http://www.hankooktireusa.com/pdf/Compe ... eGuide.pdf
Jim K.
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

AFAIK, the Z214 won't be sold in Europe. Call me a fool, but I really fail to understand how tires like that can be road legal. They're lethal in rain.

yep. Mine is full cage. However, I'm 99.5% sure that the car won't crack any worse with a strut brace than it would without. Aboslutely no reson for this in my small engineer mind anyway. As amatter of fact it will definitely help evening the loads from the towers to both sides.

The coil overs again are a totally different story. Keep the torsion bars if you don't go full cage.
MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Post by MerrilGordon »

Seems I remember the problem was that if a coil-over system was added and the shock towers were unsupported, the spot welds would pull away. I think a racer on this forum had it happen. I believe the answer was seam welding with reinforcement. I imagine the tower brace would help with the support as well.
Merril
82 GTV6 3.0
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

The strut brace isn't enough reinforcement for coil overs. Just imagine the forces and you'll see the brace won't do much for forces in Z axis direction.

I truly recommend keeping the torsion bars and using coil over helping/adjusting springs for road cars.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Micke,I have a car with me right now that is fitted with Bilstein coilovers.The spring rates are so hard that the front wheels come off the ground on certain bumps(have spoken to owner and will set this car up right)anyhow,he has been driving this gtv like this for over 3 years and no signs of any cracking whatsoever.The mounting pionts have been re inforced ,but nothibg further.If this car with its bouncing front end can stay togethr,I honestly dont think any car is going to fall apart by the firment of coil overs.
I know that on my own car I will fit coilovers without torsions anytime without reinforcing..

When your young and stupid,you tend to make your road car as stiff as possible because thats the way we did thiings back then -I did this on my 2.0l turbo 20 years ago and got some ex race Bilsteins from Dawie.These things were so hard,it jarred the car permanently.I ran these for over a year before i removed them due to blurry eyesight...No cracks on my car...

Merril,Whar you say carries weght-I can believe that if the spot welder was a bit shy with the welds,it could tear away.This would be cheap insurance in this instance...
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

OK, then I correct myself and everybody can install coil overs on their cars. Probably it was then my car being too soft and rusty for the increased load.
gtv11636
Gold
Gold

Post by gtv11636 »

That Rusty ?! :?
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

Talking about coilovers, RSR kit is actually one of the most popular, but the shocks included in it are not adjustable.

What do you think about the coilovers made from SPAX, AVO and GAZ? They are all fully adjustable and would make a big deal compared to the RSR kit (About a half of the cost of a RSR kit). Has anybody tried any of these?

On the other hand, I've found another fully adjustable 4 coilovers bolt-on kit for any 75/Milano or GTV6, that is the one made by INTRAX in the Nederlands (they also manufacture the parts for the RSR kit) :

I've been told this is a very good kit, has anybody tried this? what about pricing?
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

you cannot even imagine how GTV's rust in Finland. They use salt! And lots of it. Owning an alfa from the 70's was like russian roulette. Every morning you gamble whether its still there or rusted away ;-)
gtv11636
Gold
Gold

Post by gtv11636 »

Micke

That was both sad and funny at the same time :lol: :?
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

Since nobody has answered my post above, I'm just writing this for you to look at this again :wink:
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
enzo
Platinum
Platinum

Post by enzo »

Jose

do you know the price of the kit? I looked on the homepage, but didn't found it...