Jarle
Gold
Gold

Coilover springrates front(without torsionbars)

Post by Jarle »

As the topic says, I need advice about front springrates on my 75. The car has a full rollcage and will be used for racing. Rear springs are from RSR and rated 70kg.
Jarle
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Anything from 80/90kg to 160-180kg..Depends on what you want from the car and the track your on..
If its a full serious race car-get a variety of springs and test,test,test...
And again set up for the track and weather on the day and test...And tyres and test...and brakes and ,yup,you got it..test..
tectoteam
Gold
Gold

Post by tectoteam »

Its rates per cm of heigth loss ?
2 stroke addict
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

GTV6 or Milano/75...? It matters. I would go lighter than 70 in the rear on a GTV6 car... Front - 115 kg per side from Ron works great!

On a V6 Milano/75 - I use 125kg per side up front and 70 in the rear - also added a bigger rear anti-sway bar (Shankle) in addition to ROn's 30mm bar up front...

Leave torsion bars stock...
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
tectoteam
Gold
Gold

Post by tectoteam »

tectoteam wrote:Its rates per cm of heigth loss ?
got my answer myself....... :oops:

kg-cm
newtons-mm
2 stroke addict
Jarle
Gold
Gold

Post by Jarle »

Thanks Barry.
JJ:It is a 75 V6. I have used Rons set for a year now, with 125springs front and 70 rear, with the stiffer sway bars. I dont know what rating Ron uses on his front springs but i find it har to belive it is 125kg/cm. Used his setup with 27mm torsions, so I guess i have to fit stiffer springs when removing the bars. According to Barry here and Jose_76, 125kg/cm should be a nice place to start.....
Anyone know where to buy cheap 2.25" springs, Europe or US?

Jarle
Cannibal
Silver
Silver

Post by Cannibal »

Look for springs from speedwaymotors.com, stockcarproducts.com, or pitstopusa.com. Of course all springs here are measured in lbs/in, and since there are 25.4 mm/in (2.54 cm/in) and euro springs are measured kg/cm and there are 2.205 lbs/kg the following is used to convert kg springs to us springs:

(kg spring rating) * 2.54 * 2.205 = lbs/in

ie: 70 * 2.54 * 2.205 = 393

ie: 125 * 2.54 * 2.205 = 700

What seems hard to believe is this: You are adding 700lb springs on top of the stock torsion bars. Seems like a lot of spring. The rears seem ok, maybe a bit stiff. I'd be really temped to go with lighter springs up front and add some preload, or go with larger torsion bars and much lighter coils. The lighter the spring, the faster it reacts.

Steve
Jarle
Gold
Gold

Post by Jarle »

Cannibal: I am removing the torsionbars to go with a pure coilover conversion. Most people seems to use springrates within 650-850lbs.

Have orderd springs from Demon Tweeks now. Thanks everyone!

Jarle