Peter A
Silver
Silver

Fifteen inch tire choices

Post by Peter A »

I need some help deciding what 15" tires to buy, I know I should go bigger but I like the look of the 15x7 OZ's I have.

Limited max performance choices available now to fit a 15" wheel

Bridgestone SO-3 (205 or 225)
Falken Azenis RT-615 (205)
BFG TA-KD (205 or 225)
Khumo Ecsta MX (205)

I'd also consider some of the older tires (like the Dunlop SP 8000's I now have), especially if they work well with the GTV6 suspension.

Car is a mildy improved 3.0, Koni's, stiffer sway bars & rear springs, stock front bars, lowered, 2 degrees negative camber at front, urethane bushings.

Suggestions?????
Peter A
Silver
Silver

Post by Peter A »

ps - I won't usually be using these for dry track events, have a set of early 15" GTV6 stock wheels with Khumo's for track.
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

The S-03 is really good to drive but too harsh IMHO. For the street RE720 is as good as S-03 (I actually heve them on my race car with good results)

Dunlop SP8000? This shit is not even good enough to use as boat fenders on a tug! Maybe to build an artificial reef.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

I drove Ecsta MX for a few weeks before the snow hit and I was very satisfied. Perhaps some of the others would be better in heavy rain because the ecsta MX has rather shallow tread depth.
I assume ¨getting what you pay for" comes into play. I dont know, but I assume the so3 has advantages. That said, the guy who I trust at my local tire shop sold me on the MX. He said that the more expensive options were past the point of diminishing returns for street tires.
Oh, one superficial negative about the MX; they have busy looking sidewalls.
Peter A
Silver
Silver

Post by Peter A »

OK - I have a pretty good idea of what you think about the SP8000s!

I cant find RE720 on the tire rack site, but do see RE750s and will consider - good price as well at $98 for 205/55wr-15. The Ecsta MX's are a great deal, although I've been told a little soft in the sidewall. Tire dealer recommended Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

mx=soft in the sidewall...

That may be. What were they comparing to? S03? But Micke thinks S03 are too harsh :)
Just depends what you are after. With any of the tires you are considering, you will end up happy.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Micke-
Enjoyed the tug boat line :D
I plan to borrow that next time I see a rice wagon pull up with a set of Summitumhos*.

*aprox spelling
Peter A
Silver
Silver

Post by Peter A »

Yeah - I'm probably overthinking this one...if the tires are not great then just take them out for a few track sessions, tear them up and be justified in buying another set. Thanks for the assist.