MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Steering Wheel Bind When Turning Right

Post by MerrilGordon »

Here's one I'm scratching my head over, maybe some of you sharpies will have some insight.

My 82 GTV6 is experiencing resistance to turning when turning right. There is no resistance when turning left, it has the normal "free" feel. I put the car up on jack stands and got the same result. I looked all over for obstructions but couldn't find anything. There is no squeaking or grinding or any kind of noises. Just a restrictive feel.

Reviewed the postings on the Steering Not Centered thread but don't think my problem is related. I'll have another look at that rubber part just in case.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,
Merril
82 GTV6 3.0
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Merril might be worth having a close look for binding in the ball joints if the grease is gone out of them it can sometimes show up in the steering movement.Other than that you'd have to look at the rack but you don't want to hear that :evil:
Just had another thought.Do you still have the steering damper ?If so disconnect the end of the rod and see if it is binding.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Merril,I had something simmilar once,turned out to be a wire or bunch of them had cought the universal below the dash..Turning to one side unwound the wires,turning to the other wound everything up again...
I found this out when it all shorted and cought fire on the freeway..

Perhaps something to look for??
MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Post by MerrilGordon »

Thanks for the suggestions Murray and Barry. I'll check both those out.
Merril
82 GTV6 3.0