MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Falken Azenis Sport RT215 Tires

Post by MerrilGordon »

Anyone have much experience with this tire ?
They come in a size I like, 215/45-16.
I expect they are a track-only tire with soft high grip tread compound that wears pretty fast.
Would one get a season of say six full track days with them ?
Let me know what you all know about these skins.
Thanks,
Merril
82 GTV6 3.0
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I've used them. They grip fine until you overheat them...and then they just seem to lose their grip even after they have cooled down. I don't know why. They are noisy and harsh. I would go with 2 sets of tires. One for the track and one for the street. For the street, the Kumho SPT is good and price is low too. For the track 205/50/15 Toyo Proxes RA-1 would do the job really nicely.

If you still want a dual purpose tire, consider the Hankook RS-2 Z212. They have softer sidewalls and grip well on the track.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Merril my son uses the Azenis RT215 on his Civic for the track.They are a good "compromise" tire but as Zamani stated they can get a little slippery when hot but not too bad.What you have to be carefull of is their wet performance when partly worn.They get pretty squirrely.
On my GTV6 I use Hankook Z211 R compounds which are fantastic in the dry and for the wet I run Hankook K104.The K104 is a great all around tire and does very well on the track even dry.If you want to go with a single tire give them a look.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

I have this tire in the 225 size on the rear. They fit the Alfa Campi rims fine due to an slightly overhanging sidewall design (no funny sidewall angle). I like the grip but I like the price better!
MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Post by MerrilGordon »

Thanks for the information guys.

Sounds like the Azina are both a road and track type of tire, but like all-season tires, they are a compromize. Can't do either one exceptionally well. Maybe still an ok choice when one wants to install their tires at home then drive to the track. Still a compromise though.
I'll have to check out the Hankook tires Murry, they sound pretty good.

I'm still running 15" wheels so know there is a great selection out there for either highway or track use. Would like to go to 16" wheels someday though. Probably should keep future brake upgrades limited to 15" wheels so I can use that size on the track.

And for the rainy weather we get here in the Puget Sound, I still like the idea of 195/60-15 tires with excellent wet performance on the highway using original wheels .

Merril
82 GTV6 3.0
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Merril,

Azenis not Azina. :)

If you live in WA or OR, you should look into other tires than the Azenis. The Hankook Z212 and Toyo Proxes T1-R comes to mind. These are top performing tires which won't cause you to spin if you hit a puddle. And they aren't as expensive as most european offerings.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Azenis not soft enough for serious tracking. Good on Detroit's potholed freeways!!
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

They sound like they'd make a great street tyre for my climate (read: lack-o-rain).

I run the ST's atm, might move into the RT's.
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

I run these as a street tyre in a 215/45 on 16x8. I thought that spitting out the window near these would be probable cause for a spin but I've found them to be better than any road tyre that I've ever had, even in torrential rain (not that sunny Brisbane gets heaps of that).
As a track tyre, not so great. They don't handle heat very well, and once they've gone off, they stay off.
Peter A
Silver
Silver

Post by Peter A »

Any experience with the rt615 versus the rt215? 615 is the new tire, 215 is no longer produced
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

RT615 is much the same as the RT215. A mate of mine is running them on his MR2 as a track tyre and is unimpressed but they make a great street tyre.