Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Jarle,
RSR proposes the stock torsion bars for use with their coilovers, as the torsion/spring rate is added to the coil spring rate (which can be chosen). Using a 30mm swaybar WITH 30mm torsion bars, is something comparable, but you have the high rate ALL the time, whereas the coilovers can be dialed to act selectively (over a certain body movement). I would think that your proposed setup would lead to pronounced understeer as it would stiffen the front a lot. Maybe a rear thick swaybar would be desirable in this case, along with very stiff rear springs, to offset the front being so hard. Maybe Micke has some comments on this, or Mats? If your car is a V6, you will have more of a problem, due to the already heavy front end, this is my personal feeling.
Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Is the bars even available any more? MT-Motor was bought by a larger company a while back and we here in Sweden can't even figure out if the bars are available, have you checked with them or just looked at the site?

Anyway, with a stiff setup like that you will need proper rear springs too. Probably need to back off from the big sway bars, unless you drive around on a marble floor or something. ;)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Jarle.

Start by testing what you got!

Even with this setup you will most likely suffer from US. (I assume you didn't get rear suspension to match the front)

Next, if you want stiffer front it makes absolutely NO SENSE at all to swap the torsion bars which are lousily available and cost a fortune. You have the option to buy and try any coil spring stiffness you like and they are virtually for free compared to torsion bars (not to mention a helluva lot easier to change and tune in)
Jarle
Gold
Gold

Post by Jarle »

Thanks for the repalys!
Mats: I bought my 27bars from them last summer. Have not spoken to them recently so you may be right.

Micke: My setup is actually for the 4sylinder,but Ron (RSR)told me it would work fine on my v6. The reason I put on the 27mm bars is to compensate for the heavier front end on the V6.
Have driven the setup on nurburgring 2 times before and the cars act incredible. There is no understeer at all, slightly more a little oversteer.

Setup I got from Ron is for track use. Difference between the cars I tested on the ring and mine are. Those har stock torsion bars and 4 sylinder engine. I use the 27mm and have a V6. I know thats actually quite a big difference but I am positive and really looking forward to test my suspension setup on the track.

Jarle
Jarle
Gold
Gold

Post by Jarle »

Forgot someting.
The rear setup is set to match the front of a 4sylinder yes.

Jarle
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Question. Is this for a race car with a cage?

If it is not, IMHO, the 116/161 doesn't exactly have a stiff chassis. How would a stiff suspension be that effective?
Dr. Alban
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

I also drove Ron's car on the ring and I agree the setup is as good as can be.

However, if you use the same setup with only difference 27 instead of 23 mm torsion bars it should US. The fact that the front is heavier doesn't make it better. I didn't get if you drove your or Ron's suspension on the ring.

Anyway, if you need to stiffen it, do it with coil springs insteag of torion bars.

Zamani:
You have a point. However, even if the chassis flexes you will still have same advantage of less roll and better suspension geometry. Only F/R balance tuning will be less efficient as load transfer per axle will be reduced.
Jarle
Gold
Gold

Post by Jarle »

Zamani: Yes this a car with full rollcage.

Jarle
Attachments
Rollcage.JPG
Rollcage.JPG (96.91 KiB) Viewed 6182 times
Jarle
Gold
Gold

Post by Jarle »

Sorry Jim, got a little off topic here.

Jarle
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Looks good. Post more pics in the introduce yourself section please!!!