x-rad
Verde
Verde

Front shock/spring combo

Post by x-rad »

I have read many posts on this topic.... Can anyone suggest a decent strut/coil spring combo for the front end which can be put on in addition to torsion rod WITHOUT any major mods to upper or lower arms(GTV6)??

This would be for street /occaisional track use and ease of adjustability is important.

I am considering the RS system...any coments???
Attachments
DSCF0011_kl.jpg
DSCF0011_kl.jpg (4.2 KiB) Viewed 10721 times
suspen3_kl.jpg
suspen3_kl.jpg (6.44 KiB) Viewed 10723 times
Last edited by x-rad on Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

To my mind, the RS coilover+swaybar+torsion bars is the best you can get. Its the end of the road for 75/gtv, especially if you combine with the rear shocks +adjustable height springs.
Jim K.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Thanks Jim. Seems well designed and the price is reasonable.
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

RS suspension

Post by Paul Bird »

I have purchased the suspension kit front and rear for my GTV6, I am am in the process of a full rebuild and cant wait to get the kit on. I have driven a GTV6 with this kit on and she handled like she was on rails.
Well recommended!!! :twisted:

Thanks
Paul UK
GTV6
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Thanks Paul. I just have to convert $ to pounds.....
Plastic Pig
Silver
Silver

Re: RS suspension

Post by Plastic Pig »

Paul Bird wrote:I have driven a GTV6 with this kit on and she handled like she was on rails.
Agreed. My GTV6 has this kit and I've driven Ron's 75s round the 'Ring. I was so impressed that I've just fitted the Giulia kit to my 2000 GTV as well. :D
Bill Smith
2000 GTV, GTV6 3.5, 75 3.0 V6, GTV 3.0 V6 24V
Plastic Pig
Silver
Silver

Re: RS suspension

Post by Plastic Pig »

Oops. [Double post removed.]
Bill Smith
2000 GTV, GTV6 3.5, 75 3.0 V6, GTV 3.0 V6 24V
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

I have it on two milanos/75s, and if someone wants to make a donation I'll put it on my platinum in a heart beat - last track event in the stockish platinum made me re-realize the difference as I had not driven anything but the RS suspension for a while...
Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

just curious to know as to why this rs kit goes to the trouble of using a coilover as well as the torsion bars. not knocking it or anything as i have only ever seen it on one car down under here but i am also puzzled about the use of such a large and not to mention sway bar. i have always found that the standard one will suffice on most occasions and depending on certain setups not even needed at all. maybe this does work for u guys (not saying it doesnt just curious thats all) however it is my belief that the extra weight added (i have felt how heavy that sway bar is) only outweighs the pros to adding the extra helper coilover. i just belief that the use of a bigger diam. torsion bar and lowereing of the front roll centre would work much better.
just a freindly point here guys.

patzo_3l
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

patzo_3l

As you know all street cars have suspension that is a compromise between comfort and handling. Some cars have a more sporting bias than others. However, that is not to say that the manufacture's orignal design cannot be modified to suit ones own application or driving style.

Coil overs are the most cost effective way to modify the suspension and to trial different spring rates. It is far cheaper and easier to change springs than it is to change torsion bars so it is both a matter of practicallity as much as it is of cost. Larger or smaller sway bars are related to the tuning process of the eventual modification for any given handling characteristics being aimed for.

Your driving style does not appear to need any changes and so you should not make any.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

very interesting reply. however i still donnot fully understand your answer. for one thing if a coilover was to be used i would be cutting out the whole part of the body where the torsion bars mount and restrenghtening in other areas. i am just in the state of mind that one is not meant to work with the other. if we were talking about a schocker with a helper spring then fair enough but to waste money on a full blown coilover as well as the torsion bar setup i donnot understand the point. also call me quick but it does not take me more then a few hours to remove and refit torsion bars and if needed to fit larger ones also modify. and i am no houdeny. in regard to my driving style it is not only me but many others running my type of setups. if i were to go coilover i would do something more to the tune of benincas 2lt sports sedan as you probly already have seen it. by the way the car i mentioned with that kit running down here basically has the exact mods as me aprt from the rs kit and he is 3 seconds off the pace. exact setup. by the way is that sway bar even adjustable?
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

You guys with the RS system: Do you find that with your GTV6 lowered about 1 inch from stock that there is enough travel in the system???

Seems like the bump stop is close to the bottom of the shock....
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

XRad,

Yeah, mine also had very little suspension travel - maybe about 2cm. Ron says that is ok and should not be a problem. Car seems to handle very well still and doesn't bottom out.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Really?? 2cm's Is that with the bump stop trimmed at all?