Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Bin the leaf springs and design a nice four-link with a watt or panhard to locate it sideways. Good to go.

Or do you have to have leafs because of regulations?

Good post btw, love the part about the Bilstein/Konis. :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Yeah I know ive being toying on like farkwit.

Thanks for putting me in my place Greg, Mats, Ben.

And screw you Daniel for encouraging the :twisted: in me! You should know better :wink:

TS Turbo- Ive seen Lotus sevens using Alfa gear before, but my Yr 12 Physics teacher who owned a PRB Clubman Replica said the fabricated IRS ones were quicker. I dont know myself

Possibly better, and cheaper to go with RS Racing setup and some good brakes - yes?
Fixing it bit by bit....
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Guys,

The least of these cars' problem is the rear setup. It's the front that understeers like a pig. Although with the Beninca setup, drop spindles, I should hope to see some improved laptimes.

But yeah Jules, it's an interesting topic to discuss m8.
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

Sorry Jules, I can't help myself. That bloody minded engineer in me comes out and wants to redesign things. :o
Good topic though.
Now what can we attack next ? :lol:
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Ok, Check this one out, then....
Fixing it bit by bit....
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Mats wrote:Bin the leaf springs and design a nice four-link with a watt or panhard to locate it sideways. Good to go.

Or do you have to have leafs because of regulations?

Good post btw, love the part about the Bilstein/Konis. :)
I have to stay with leafs because of the rules, but I can add locating links etc, so it'll gain something to take care of the leaf spring wind up (ideally sprung to help with brake hop), and either a panhard or a watts link... I'm leaning towards the panhard as I can set it up assymetrically so it will load the right hand rear better (the live axle naturally unloads the right rear under throttle).
I may even investigate a set of coposite leafs from the US, the improvement in unsprung weight is massive :)

The IRS sevens don't have the HP to reallly work the back tires hard, and because of their insanely lightwieght, the improvement in sprung to unsprung ratios makes a huge difference.

Things to redesign on the alfetta chasis cars? how about redesigning those stupid rear calipers so they can perform more than one handbrake turn between adjustments? Shift linkage? Front Suspension?
:D
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Handbrake? You guys have handbrakes? 8) :P

Ben, is there something in the rules that say you can't add springs? add some nice coil springs and a four link, then tremove the leaf springs and add som very thin pieces of strip steel to look like the leaf springs... :twisted:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Mats wrote:Handbrake? You guys have handbrakes? 8) :P

Ben, is there something in the rules that say you can't add springs? add some nice coil springs and a four link, then tremove the leaf springs and add som very thin pieces of strip steel to look like the leaf springs... :twisted:
The wording pretty much says no to that... The Flex-a-form fiberglass leafs are the go (they're probably as light as coils), and if i do stuff like float the front spring eye it will let a 3 link do its thing (3 links don't bind up in roll like a 4 link). Rules are fun to work around :P
TS_turbo
Gold
Gold

Post by TS_turbo »

camber compensating IRS ... verry interesting no much camber change during drop or bump exept static , ideal for rear end :D
Attachments
acm.JPG
acm.JPG (55.56 KiB) Viewed 8919 times
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

TS_turbo wrote:camber compensating IRS ... verry interesting no much camber change during drop or bump exept static , ideal for rear end :D
I'm not 100% convinced on the dax system... I'd be interested to see the roll centre migrations etc. Besides, you do want some camber gain in roll during cornering to compensate for tire carcass roll.
twinspark6
Gold
Gold

Post by twinspark6 »

flex o forms are good. Although many people would argue. I know a few guys that use them and love them. I also know someone who broke one.
Why not use a QA1 adjustable shock and coilover type set-up with either existing leaf spring or flex o forms.
I decided not to use composite springs but did order belltech springs. 2" drop and did not suffer ride quality. I'll have some pics for you here soon Ben
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

twinspark6 wrote:flex o forms are good. Although many people would argue. I know a few guys that use them and love them. I also know someone who broke one.
Why not use a QA1 adjustable shock and coilover type set-up with either existing leaf spring or flex o forms.
I decided not to use composite springs but did order belltech springs. 2" drop and did not suffer ride quality. I'll have some pics for you here soon Ben
QA1? I wouldn't use them in a pink fit! Why bother when I've got a pair of digressive Bilstein coilovers sitting in a cupboard (as well as the set of custom valved Billies on the car)? I've thought about stripping back to a single leaf and running a coilover, but the rulebook specifically prohibits that :(
The broken spring thing is what makes me nervous about the flex-a-forms, but i guess if i've got the axle located well enough its less of a problem.
Never heard of Belltech?
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Ben m8,

Did I sell you my upside down bilsteins for La_strega_nera? Can't remember...
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Zamani wrote:Ben m8,

Did I sell you my upside down bilsteins for La_strega_nera? Can't remember...
Yep, they were a world better than the konis she used to run.