cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Rack & pinon Steering

Post by cchan »

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering what type of service should be done to the rack & pinion steering. I have the engine out and I am looking at this. I might as well sevice it since it is accessable right now. I was thinking of just greasing it and changing the rubber boots. Does anyone have any advise on the easiest way to do this and if there is anything else I should do?

Thanks for any suggestions. :D
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Post by SimonB »

Also, any good swaps with other tranaxle cars to speed up the steering a bit?
¡Si me gusta conducir, es porque conduzco un Alfa!

'84 GTV6 UK spec back on the road after 4 years!
05 Corolla daily driver
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

cchan,
It's a good idea to replace the rack end ball joints and possibly the tie rod ends all at the same time along with a thorough clean, inspection,new lube for the rack and new boots.

This is a safety issue and if you don't know what you are doing, may I suggest you have it professionally reconditioned?

Naturally, as all these changes will affect your front wheel alignment when it all goes back, you will need to attend to that as well.

SimonB

I think the early series 1.8 GTV's had a shorter steering ratio. At least that is what I recall from driving one. However, with most guys using bigger wheels and tyres than they were originally fitted with these days, you may find the steering a touch heavy during slow turns/parking.

You can of course install a ratio converter on your current steering colum if that is what you want.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

Steering

Post by Paul Bird »

You could use the power steering set up from an alfa 75!!

Paul UK
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

You could use power steering at the price of steering feedback-it's what Alfas are all about.

Sorry Paul..
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

you could also convert that power steering rack to a manual rack like greg gordon did on his super verde.
v
Mats
Verde
Verde

Re: Steering

Post by Mats »

Paul Bird wrote:You could use the power steering set up from an alfa 75!!

Paul UK
Have you done this? How did you convert the different spline on the pinion between the Spica racks on the Alfetta cars and the 75 cars?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

Steering

Post by Paul Bird »

I fitted the steering column from a 3.0L 75, I don't know if there is a way to adapt the standard steering column to the power steering rack. As far as steering 'feel' is concerned, I have 17'' MOMO GT2 wheels and a Ron Simmons coilover set up on my car and the feel is very good, for me any way!

Paul UK
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Mats,

I have fitted a power rack to an Alfetta Sportiva. I think the components came out of a 164. Because the steering box housing is taller, the steering shaft has to be shortened and re-splined. You also have to make a new hold down position for the rack on the front crossmember. Otherwise the installation is straightforward. This is our town car and the wife takes it shopping...It's easy for her to park.

Paul,

I agree the Alfa power steer has a good feel as far as power steering systems go and it is also relativley fast responding but it is not a patch on a manual rack for feedback. Really depends on what you want, convenience or ultimate feedback. Some drivers actually do not like feedback in steering wheels. They think it is too harsh and manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to isolate this out of their cars to keep customers happy. The Japs and Yanks are renowned for it.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

My point of reference is the power rack on my 75TS vs the manual rack on my GTV6.I would say that the 75PS gives up very little in the way of feedback and if someone wanted to adapt PS.to the GTV6 I'm pretty sure they'd be satisfied with that setup.I don't know if the Twinspark rack is the same as that which was used on the Milano but they don't seem to be as susceptable to leaking.(maybe I should shut up :twisted: )
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER