zambon
Verde
Verde

Understeer problem

Post by zambon »

I have an understeer problem with my 75 milano v6.
I have a stock milano verde which handles worlds better than my modified understeering milano.
The modifications that were present when I bought the car include AC delete, power steering delete, koni shocks in the rear, rear sport lowering springs (they are red, been told they might be Ricambi), 205 50 15 bridgestone SO3 tires up front, and some kind of Ventus 225 50 15 tires out back. The Ventus tires are very new, while the bridgestones are about 1/2 tread. The Bridgestones have a very high max psi, (51), and I notice that understeer decreases when I run max pressure. Is the understeer due to the rear tires being so much wider than the fronts?

I recently installed coilovers in the front with 150lb springs in addition to the stock torsion bars. Things improved, but there is still way too much understeer.

I would appreciate any experience or suggestions regarding my setup.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Zambon,

Do you have a way to adjust your sway bars? try firming up the front one I think...or loosining the rear. Try disconnecting the rear and see if that evens things up (be CAREFUL when testing this). If I remember right the Milanos were really close to even on the front rear weight bias so your tire sizes may be an issue, but also at issue is that the rear tires are taller than the fronts which gives the car a forward rake. That rake can mess things up pretty good...check if the ride hight is the same front and back.

....some ideas that I hope help,
Scott
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Tires should not be the problem.

Losing the rear AR bar WILL make it worse. Stiffening the front might help or make it worse depending on the complete package.

Add negative camber in front for starters.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Thanks for the advice. The car doesnt have any rake to speak of due to the lowering springs out back. Here in Mexico those springs are a PITA. the tall rear tires helps get the exhaust a bit higher off the ground. Were it not for the tires, I dont think I could run these springs.
In any event, I plan to impliment adjustable perches in the back in the future. I think raising the rear would be good, but that is just intuition.

I am getting an adjustable watts linkage soon and I will be installing some polyurathane castor bushings. After that I will take her in for alignment and have them add some negative camber (how much can I get away with on the street?)

As far as weight distribution goes, I think I might have a slight rear bias at the moment. The AC and power steering have been removed from the front. Meanwhile, my spare tire is in the trunk and I have been driving around with a heavy tool box back there. I generally keep the gas at around a quarter tank as the weight savings keep the exhaust a few mm higher.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Little update here:

I still have not gotten the alignment because I am incompetent and have not gotten my adjustable watts linkage installed (I want to have the rear end aligned at the same time). I am also installing a poly dedion bushing.
I also noticed that my rear sway bar bushings are a in horrible condition, I doubt that is causing understeer though...
I have been thinking about the balance of the car and I keep coming back to the tires.
Micke, I know that you stated your opinion that the tires should not be a problem, but consider that this car might actually have a rear weight bias at the moment. This would be due to the AC and power steering delete lightening the front end. Out back, I have the spare tire in its place (I think it is on a steel rim, so it isnt exactly light). I also have plenty of tools in the trunk.
With the wider (225 50 15 rear vs 205 50 15 front) rubber and the possible rear weight bias, wouldnt that make the rear end fairly planted? Also, the front is at or slightly above stock ride height, while the rear is lower due to Red "sport" springs (although the larger rear tires bring it back up a little). Wouldnt this negative rake put more weight than normal on the rear tires? With all this weight out back, along with extra rubber, isnt it logical to expect the rear to have more grip than the front?

I guess what I am asking is, is it pointless to tune this suspension until I have matching tire sizes? I guess I will try to take everything out of the trunk and see if handling gets better or worse, but that isnt very scientific. Furthermore, the roads around here are not very good for feeling the car out.