GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

Boy, the crap someone has to take when a three hour job stretches to two weeks! Guess I better get the SmurfWatts back on the car tonight!

GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

Okay, got the Watts back on tonight. One thing I didn't care for was that the metal tube in the Powerflex center pivot bushing was about an 1/8" short once the bushings were in place (see photo). Doesn't seem quite right to me, but since there are large washers to each side of the bushing I'm thinking it will be okay.

GV
Attachments
P1010162.JPG
P1010162.JPG (200.13 KiB) Viewed 6942 times
Last edited by GregoryV on Sat May 05, 2007 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

Greased up the bushings and put them in - then bolted the links to the center pivot and tightened - then slid the center pivot on to the Dedion and tightend- slid the link ends up to the body brackets and put the bolts through - then cranked it all tight. Last was to take a punch and knock the little tab back into the center pivot nut to lock it.

Note that when you bolt the bottom end link to the center pivot you want to make sure to have the head of the bolt on the side against the Dedion and the nut on from the rear - else the nut will hit the Dedion ... it's obvious when you try it.

Can't wait to see if I feel a difference. In the mean time the bigger sway bar endlink bolts still haven't shown up - so I'll post that info. as a thread once they do arrive.

Thanks again for the tips before doing the job - it made it that much easier :D

Next up will be the front end ... but before that my Smog Test is due ...

GV
Attachments
Please note these images are not color accurate - this watts link is Blue's Clues Blue and not Smurf Blue as some would have you believe.
Please note these images are not color accurate - this watts link is Blue's Clues Blue and not Smurf Blue as some would have you believe.
P1010164.JPG (192.64 KiB) Viewed 6941 times
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

I e-mailed Powerflex in regards to the metal sleeve on the center pivot bush being a little short - they replied back in a day with this:

We do tend to make the sleeve a little shorter so that the bush can be compressed slightly when fitted. It means everything is held together a little tighter.

Regards,

James Bourn

EPTG Ltd
POWERFLEX
7 Union Buildings
Wallingford Road
Uxbridge
UB8 2FR
ENGLAND

Tel: (+44) 01895 460033
Fax: (+44) 01895 520095
sales@powerflex.co.uk
www.powerflex.co.uk
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hi- Ho, merry oh and Smurfing we will go...SHEIT, I'm in the wrong movie!! :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

My sway bar bolts finally arrived, 10mm x 170mm grade 10.9 which is probably overkill (stock were grade 5.9), don't think these will ever bend. Cleaned up and painted the spacer tubes and washers and then back on it can all go after the paint is dry. That does it for rear bushings as the transaxle mount was done last year - never did the Dedion that will have to wait until the next time the gearbox has to come out.

x-rad: sent you a pm for ordering the bolts here in the US.

GV
Attachments
Rear sway bar hardware. Black end link bolts are the new 10mm grade 10.9, rusty ones are the original with bad threads, bright one is the 7mm grade 5.9 from IAP.
Rear sway bar hardware. Black end link bolts are the new 10mm grade 10.9, rusty ones are the original with bad threads, bright one is the 7mm grade 5.9 from IAP.
P1010169.JPG (197.16 KiB) Viewed 6851 times
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Epilogue

Post by GregoryV »

Man, I really didn't know how much of a difference I would feel after doing this ... Big Difference :) I can really feel it, the backend is right there. Of course now with the backend tight the front doesn't just feel loose it feels unsafe! Wasn't so noticeable when the front and back bushings were all wasted. If anyone has not done this to their v6, do it - it is an easy job with simple tools.

So, next item up will be the front end - looking forward to getting the nose down to Eurospec height after all these years - but don't know if I'm looking forward to doing it!

GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

How about the color scheme? I wonder if you have any specific recommendations......

:D
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Got it thanks!
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

People have said that the poly bushings on the watt's and Dedion don't transmit more road noise, but over pebble like surfaces, they most definitely do!

I have 16 inch wheels with 50 series tires, no back seat, and Bilsteins.

Not a bad compromise, but not a "free" mod in my opinion.
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

Grant - I certainly feel a little more with the Poly bushings on the Watts - though I was accustomed to the feel of 23 year-old wasted rubber bushings. Still, it's not like they made the ride harder just that I can feel more small vibrations from the road - doesn't bother me though. I do need to crank the setting on the Sport Konis down to the softest setting, as they are at mid right now and it's pretty jarring.

Zam - I'll leave that color choice up you "Gurus" when the time comes but with the new Spiderman movie out I'm thinking Black would probably be the best. BTW did you ever see my "rare" Nardi steering wheel? It's a Shag Nardi? oops should have started a new thread in the Interiors section - sorry about that :D

GV
Attachments
attachment-7.php.jpg
attachment-7.php.jpg (79.77 KiB) Viewed 6780 times
20-Years-3-Motors-Later