sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

coilovers?

Post by sh0rtlife »

well with my project slowly ramping up to speed and the somewhat limited space in wich im putting a alfa suspension into and the MASSIVE weight loss :lol:

coilovers have been crossing my mind ALOT as of late....but in all of the posts i dont find a complete pile of all of the info needed...what coilovers fit? front? rear? does this allow FULL remmoveal of the torsion bars..and whats needed to make it all "work as intended"????
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

RS suspension...coilovers in addition to torsion bars

they sell the whole setup front and rear.... many posts on this topic
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

i asumed there was a way of going coilover and tossin the torsions in the bin
Jarle
Gold
Gold

Post by Jarle »

There are not many companies making bolt on coilover conversions for the 116series. The way to go is to order a spesified coilover that fit your "needs". All of the well known suspension companies can deliver spesified damper/springs.
I know Leda suspesion made a kit som years ago, or you could try www.intraxsuspesion.nl
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

why get rid of torsion bars when RS makes a really good kit with all types of spring configurations AND for a good price?
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

It's really hard to fix your roll center with the coilovbers and torsies for starters..
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

cause the T-bars are well a bit long for my space availible but mostly tho the stock t-bars are going to likely be to stiff...im shooting for around 1600-1800lbs....wich should be easy to atain considering the weight ive already stiped from the lloyd wich was only a 1200lb car to start with and i will be adding a 2.5v6 and transaxle and suspension from a milano...car is only about 10foot long and just over 4 foot wide with a wheel base at about 7 1/2 foot
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

To reduce weight you need to throw stuff in the bin, adding coilovers without removing the bars is quite the opposite. :)

Also to have two different springs in parallell is a good way to get a difficult system to tune.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jarle
Gold
Gold

Post by Jarle »

X-rad: The Rs- kit for the V6 does not get rid of the understeer, as it does with the 4 syl. Throw away the t-bars and you have a much better point to start....
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

Ron sends out different spring rates for the V6 milanos. With a 28mm front bar, stock rear, and his springs, the RS kit does get rid of the understeer.
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

sooo then i can just more or less with a lil fabbing of a tuffer mount for the coilovers just bolt on some coilovers and junk the old t-bars then right?
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Basically yes. And I'm sure if you talk to Ron he can swap the springs to some which work without t-bars. It's just a matter of the right stiffness.

The question how well the chassis can take the load in a new place has been dicussed before without any real outcome.
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

well re-inforceing or makeing new mounts isnt realy an issue for me since ill be removeing most of the innerfender anyway and likely running some kind of tube setup up front......i just knew that on "some" cars with t-bars you cant actualy do away with them without re-supporting the control arm and a whole slew of other problems come up......when i eyeballed over the alfa suspension it looked like i could just remove em but was unsure

tuff part is going to be finding the right spring rate...since theres NOTHING to compare to lol :roll:

anyone got a length/details for the coilovershocks themselves?....lots of stockcar supplyers out this way ...good chance i can get some dirt cheep if i have some specs to work from
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

As you'll be making the new mounts, theres a lot of freedom in the coil over length. Just measure roughly what will suit you and check out ebay or any company selling shocks.
The springs don't cost anything (well, compared to thick t-bars anyway) so you can try a couple of times.
If you have a 900 kg car with street tires starting with 600 lbs will not be far off. On the other end 1200 kg slicks you probably need almost double.
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

well she will be a fun street toy ..i want just a tad more firmness over stock gtv6 but refuse to add much to the harshenss of the ride since the wife has alot of back problems and 100% loves the ride in the alfa...only the worst roads or me getting over agressive in driveing is the only time where she starts to hurt from it...where the minivan or anything else we have hurts her from the time she gets into the car till the time she gets out