Byi
Silver
Silver

GTV6 stock / improved handling

Post by Byi »

Hello,

I am entertaining the idea of purchasing a GTV6 shortly and am curious to hear others opinions on the Alfa’s handling and it’s susceptibility towards improve. Ideally I’d like to install front and rear stabilising bars with quality suspension plus springs.

Are there any websites that stock and supply these pieces internationally so I can undertake further study? Secondly are there any businesses located in Australia?

Lastly can I please get confirmation as to the weight distribution of the vehicle? I believe I read it has near 50:50 if that’s true then I would be gob-smacked.

Thank you very much.

Cheers,
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

Hi mate,
There are a few sources for suspension parts.
www.performatek.com sells bigger springs and better bushes etc...
RSR is a good source too.
http://www.alfaromeo-performanceparts.c ... /index.php
I'm sure there are others but these are the ones that strike me at the moment.
I think the wieght distribution is something like 49-51 front...
good luck.
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

For Australia you can see/email Joe Beninca in Melbourne. He just finished setting up the suspension on my car and its fantastic. Handles stupidly well :)

www.beninca.com.au (It's a terrible site)
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec
Byi
Silver
Silver

Post by Byi »

Thank you for the input so far. With upgraded suspension how does the Alfa compare to it's Japanese rivals, for example, RX7 FC or 200sx? IS it just as sharp and capable during high speed cornering?

Cheers,
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Interesting question ! Welcome to the Forum.

Know this. The GTV2.0/2.5 suspension comes from a racing heritage. Having said that, out of the showroom floor, it would out handle either at any speed.

Modifications to improve factory handling should only be carried out with a specific goal in mind like what is it exactly that you want to use the car for and match the specifications accordingly.

In some cars, like the GTV,the handling can be tuned from execellent to outstanding. It has the essential good fundamental engineering prerequisites. Better than live axle and better than macpherson strutt.

Cheers, MD
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

Post by Paul Bird »

MD, you could also look at the Ron Simmons suspention set up, handles like its on rails.

PB uk
Attachments
coil over.jpg
coil over.jpg (195.17 KiB) Viewed 9943 times
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

Byi, what part of the world are you in?

The 200sx was either th S12 or S13, depending on where you live.

Both the S12 and FC hace pretty crappy suspension. Both have struts up front and semi trailing arms in the rear. This is pretty bad starting point, but with coilovers starting at $900 for the FC and custom coilovers can be done for about $500 on an S12 (which I own) you cannot go faster for less money than in an S12/13/14 or with an FC.

The S13 and S14 are really capable cars. Both have multi link rear suspension, and struts in the front. These cars are WAY more predictable at the limit than the GTV6/Milano, which I feel is a dated chassis. They weigh less, the S14 has a wide track, so grip is very high. I've personally experienced the grip in an S14 on coilovers and it is VER good for the money put in to it.

Have you owned either the S12 or FC? Basically, the rear suspension is so bad on the S12/FC that stock for stock, the GTV6 is a better handler. These Alfas are verynice and easy to drive in their stock form. Predictable understeer that just reduces when you lift the throttle. As you start to modify for more grip and better at the limit handling, the soild axle part of the Dedion starts to play in. I've found that over small bumps, the dedion is a less than ideal solution.

Thing is though, despite the cost/complexity/rarity/difficulty/reliability issues, we all can't get away from Alfas. They have a very addictive nature. Unlike FC's and S12's, more people seem to be joining the classic Alfa community, rather than leaving it, as is the case with FC's and S12's. People grow up, and would rather experience something with more cachet or driver's feedback.

Get yourself into a NICE GTV6/Milano/Alfa Sud, whatever. It doesn't matter as long as it is nice. Take it for a test drive and be sure to romp on it. If you're not completely sold after the first test drive, then I don't know what's wrong with you! Every person I've had drive my car ends up looking into buying one.

Alfa has never made a boring car. I'm assuming the old war jeep was pretty fun to toss around turns as well =)

If you want more information on how these cars compare to Nissan rivals, let me know. I can fill in some more but I need to get back to work.

Good Luck.
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

S14s and S15s here in Oz.
Have you ever driven an ARNA?
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

You got me there, the ARNA is the only boring car Alfa has made :D

I'm assuming of course, I don't really know much about the Japanese built ARNA.
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Hey PB: that's such a pretty picture!!

...did you have to trim the upper arm at all for the spring?
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

ARNA? hmm thats unfair..... The ARNA wasnt an alfa really, its was a nissan Cherry, with an alfa engine. It sounded nice, but looked and drove like crap.

In the 80's, me and my friends all used to laugh out loud and point every time we saw one drive past. Most people that owned them always seemed embarrased to be seen in them.....with good reason.... One guy we knew owned one and he was always going on about having an alfa, until my friend pulled along side him one day in his 75 3.0 Qv in Black. Well the Arna guys face dropped and he never ever mentioned his plastic piece of crap again.

:lol:
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

Post by Paul Bird »

Hi x-rad,

No I didnt have to trim the upper arm for the spring, although it is a tight fit but dosnt catch!

PB
Attachments
gtv.jpg
gtv.jpg (27.11 KiB) Viewed 9754 times
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

Post by Paul Bird »

Heres another.
Attachments
Image091.jpg
Image091.jpg (25.48 KiB) Viewed 9755 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

PB n J: that is a tight fit..no touching even on the tight corners?..

I am seriously considering the front coil over setup...don't have the money for the ass end right now
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

Post by Paul Bird »

Hi x-rad,

You gotta do it the handling is great, I spent over £1000 on RS kit, well worth it and looks great too!

PB UK
Attachments
Image012.jpg
Image012.jpg (41.49 KiB) Viewed 9725 times