GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

Well, I was thinking of replacing those tie-rod boots and guess what? Passenger side tie-rod boot has a tear in it :roll: if it is something made of rubber I'm planning to replace it ...

GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

G,

If you haven't replaced the rubber bits in about the last 5 years you may want to at least check them.
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

If you get stuck, give me a call. I may be able to come by.

The steering feel improvement with the poly caster pads is pretty remarkable, especially when comparing to the old worn out rubber.

I don't know if you have read this already, but if the torsion bar is stuck (which it very well could be), get a plastic mallet and whack on the bar to "vibrate" it free. It worked for me every time.

Turning a nut instead of the bolt is the way to go - it reduces the chance that you'll strip your torsion bars.

Good luck!
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

Well, the project is stalled for the moment - I hope to get to it by the summer here, but I will at least do the caster bushings soon since they are so bad ... I just hate to pay to get the alignment done, and then rip it all apart a few more months down the road!

I'll report when I have something to show :)

GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
franksun
Silver
Silver

Post by franksun »

GregoryV wrote:Well, the project is stalled for the moment - I hope to get to it by the summer here, but I will at least do the caster bushings soon since they are so bad ... I just hate to pay to get the alignment done, and then rip it all apart a few more months down the road!

I'll report when I have something to show :)

GV
How elegant! My caster bushes looks EXACTLY the same! Where did you buy them in poly? :D
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

Those red poly caster bushings are from IAP www.international-auto.com

Hope to get going on this stuff next month!

GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later