PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Steering quickener?

Post by PietereQ »

Killing some time I came across this:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku
http://www.stockcarproducts.com/steer4.htm
Anyone has any experience/know anything about these? seems like a cheap and readily available alternative for quick steering rack.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I know a lot of people use them but personally I would never ever use a component like that in such a safety critical system as the steering.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

This topic has been discussed before.
Unless you need super quick recovery turning like in dirt RALLY applications, it would be more trouble than it's worth.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Well did a search before but didn't find a word about steering quickeners :? Hmm any steering racks that are interchangable then? How about alfetta sedan? How many turns from lock to lock they have?
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

I think early 2 litre GTV's had slightly quicker ratios but as far a I can make out from driving them, Alfettas and GTV's have the same ratios.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
AlfaTipo
Gold
Gold

Post by AlfaTipo »

I believe the Milano rack is quicker. Greg Gorden has a tech note on how to convert the power rack to manual.

http://www.hiperformancestore.com/SuperVerde.htm

Not sure if it is a straight swap otherwise.
Jef
85 GTV6 'Gina G2' Shankle cams and headers Resting Serious rebuild in the future
85 GTV6 'Gina G3' Sold but missed.
www.motozane.com
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Old manual: 3.6T
Power: 3.2T
If the steering quickener is properly installed there's no down side. I have a friend in the US using it (road race)in his racer (Detroit iron) and he only has positive comments. The suppliers even make a rebuild kit for them so its no shabby stuff. However, my personal impression is that Alfas don't need it. I have repeatedly raced my 3liter in a local go-kart track (1.2km long) and had no problems at all in the last 8 years with semi-slicks. The car is always in the top 3 finishers among 30-odd cars of all kinds, alfetta, bertone, 33, Alfasuds etc. If it steers well in this tight little track you don't need any better I think!
My 1.8Turbo was manual and was a handfull in all tracks. After installing the ps package, everything is perfect speed-wise and cornering.
To sum it all up: PS+ 350mm steerin wheel is the best recipe I have for anyone.
Jim K.