PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Lower A arm bushings. Poly or rubber?

Post by PietereQ »

Since alfa is grounded due to fatal clutch failure and finding brake problem, i'll use opportunty do refresh the front end. I ve searched several sites, and noticed that no one supplies poly bushings for lower A arms (even performatek sells OEM parts) Are stock, rubber good enough even for sport use? Or is it worth the hassle with producing polyurethane counterparts?
thanks
Pete
Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

I was under the impression they were a special bushing to start with, hence the non-existance of a poly counterpart.

Having gone through this process recently myself, I was assured by several (including Greg) that the OEM rubber bush is perfectly fine.

ROCK ON
R~R
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Greg's voice makes point here 8) I'll order rubber then
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I will chime in here. There is very little rubber in the stock lower A arm bushing (which is really sort of a bearing) so it doesn't deform much during hard cornering. They do seem to deform with age, but it's not a big problem. There are no off the shelf upgrades available for this bushing.

For the hard core enthusiast, Barry does a mod where he replaces them with multiple bearings pressed in on each side. It's documented on this site somewhere, and is a great idea.

Greg
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Ok. So today i have picked up my busings which were listed as standard OEM...
But it appears to me that these are poly bushings :?:
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Between the poly looking stuff and the metal is the rubber. There is very little rubber, but it's there, and that's what wears out.

Greg
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Well I didn't know they make translucent rubber. I thought it's the feature of elastomers of all kind. Well, rubber or not it will make way a lot difference :)
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

When you get the old ones out, you will probably see how the rubber inside has deformed. You can always cut one in half to verify it, but there is rubber in there.

Greg
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

the translucent stuff that you are seeing is a dust/ grease seal to keep excess junk out of the rubber part of the bushing.

Scott