kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

R~R, actually I was surprised about how narrow your freeways were and incorrect cambers are but I never lost the front suspension off(in a pothole) my Pajero when I drove from Cairns to Melbourne.
Back to tyres, Got Nankans on some of my company vans. They seem to wear pretty well but have not seen there full life yet.(wheels keep getting stolen or the van does).
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

I had the previous generation Toyo's on my 3 litre.Crap would be too kind a word to describe their abilities in anything that even hinted at wet weather. :shock: They wern't too bad around Zwartkops but if I saw rain I stayed at home.Even a 40km/h wet lane brake manouvre would result in skidding.

Switched to the Goodyear Eagle F1's and was beyond amazed at the difference in every aspect especially wet weather driving.The same road at 40km/h in the Toyo's could now be done at more than 100km/h without even raising a mild sweat.

Right now I am in the dilema of not finding the latest F1's in SA so I am going to switch to the Bridgestone Adrenalin RE001 which is the replacement for the SO-3.Will keep you guy's posted once it's done and I have done some mileage.

Nankang,okay for a van but not a GTV6. :wink:
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Post by SimonB »

Nankang NS-2 €51.90
Test results ReifenTest.com
Nankang NS2
TyreTest.com:
Average based on 283 completed reviews
Score: 1-Excellent 6-Terrible Ø2.3
Grip under dry conditions 1.7
Braking under dry conditions 1.9
Grip under wet conditions 2.9
Braking under wet conditions 2.8
Grip in snow 5.0
Comfort 2.4
Noise level (internal) 2.3
Noise level (external) 2.2
Tyre wear 2.4
Kilometers driven 14.988

Toyo Proxes T1R €75.30
TyreTest.com:
Average based on 375 completed reviews
Score: 1-Excellent 6-Terrible Ø2.1
Grip under dry conditions 1.7
Braking under dry conditions 1.8
Grip under wet conditions 2.2
Braking under wet conditions 2.3
Grip in snow 5.2
Comfort 2.3
Noise level (internal) 2.2
Noise level (external) 2.2
Tyre wear 2.5
Kilometers driven 19.631

Michelin Pilot Exalto in UK 93 pounds! about €140
TyreTest.com:
Average based on 85 completed reviews
Score: 1-Excellent 6-Terrible Ø1.7
Grip under dry conditions 1.2
Braking under dry conditions 1.3
Grip under wet conditions 1.7
Braking under wet conditions 1.7
Grip in snow 4.6
Comfort 1.9
Noise level (internal) 1.8
Noise level (external) 1.9
Tyre wear 1.9
Kilometers driven 24.937

Just to show why I mentioned Nankang as a budget alternative. :)
¡Si me gusta conducir, es porque conduzco un Alfa!

'84 GTV6 UK spec back on the road after 4 years!
05 Corolla daily driver
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Thanks Simon.Interesting to see the cost's for the relative tyres.Here they want just under 200 Euro's for a 215X40X17 Eagle F1 Assimetric versus 140 for the RE001.

Talk about melting my wallet... :cry: When you convert to our currency,Rand,it is hellishly expensive.Ah well I suppose peace of mind when doing well over 200km/h is not something one put's a monetary value on.
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Post by SimonB »

Prices in Euros are for 205/55 15 in Spain, which is the biggest homologated tyre that will fit on standard rims and pass their annual inspection. The site I was using didn't quote the Michelin, so I used the UK equivalent. I can't find the Eagle F1 in this size. A quote for another size said that they were going out of production. They have a great reputation, Bob Bondurant uses them in his driving school and endorses them in his book. My T1Ss were a giant leap forward after standard size Eagle Venturas. The previous Eagle GAd were just plain dangerous!
¡Si me gusta conducir, es porque conduzco un Alfa!

'84 GTV6 UK spec back on the road after 4 years!
05 Corolla daily driver
kanga
Silver
Silver

Re: Toyo tires

Post by kanga »

I have just replaced the Toyo 205/55 15 tyres on my car with Bridgestone Turanza ER592 195/60 15V, the difference is unbelievable, the car is almost neutral, where as before the understeering was really really evident, now on the same corners the car just turns in.
Also comfort has improved as well as the gearing is now back to normal as before it was close to 5% lower and I have little more ride height. I tend to think the 6" rims were to narrow for the 205/55 tyres.I have bilstein shocks all round with tighter rear springs from Pace engineering in Melbourne and the back of the car is about 1.5 2 cm lower.