Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

Front suspension

Post by Paul Bird »

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help. I have spent some time rebuilding my GTV6 from the ground up. All suspension components were removed, shot blasted and powder coated and re-assembled with new bushes and bearings including the RS set up.
The car hasnt been on the road yet as it is awaiting a respray, my problem is that after rebuilding the front suspension, the passenger side (left, UK) front wheel catches on the plastic body skirt when turning the steering, but there is plenty of clearence on the drivers side. I havent been able to find the problem.
Any ideas?

Paul UK :twisted:
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Paul

Common problem when fitting wider wheels than original. After checking chassis alignment in case it had a shunt by the previous owner, if it is correct, the answer is to trim off the part that is catching. End of problem. (or use lower profile tyre)
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

The problem is probably your castor adjustment. When you replaced all the bushings it changed the alignment.

Greg
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Hi.As greg said turn your castor in with the new bushes. What type of castor arm set up have you put in. What size wheels have you got. This problem Also occurs when you run wheels with huge ofsets. You will find after it clears the plastic it will then touch the weld seem just inside which i hammer flat as I am always looking for max castor(race car). Surely the RS shock must be touching the upper control arm at this stage. Check that out.
Cheers
Kevin
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

Post by Paul Bird »

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

I have the caster rod ball joint and I have adjusted it fully, all this has done is pull the upper arm towards the RS coilover. I have 17 x 8 momo GT2 wheels and I have had these on my previous GTV6 with no problems.

Is there any adjustment on the lower arm? As far as I can tell there has been no accident damage, I got the chasiss from Alex jupe so there shouldnt be a problem.

Paul UK. :twisted:
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Did you replace the bush in the lower a-arm? When I replaced mine 4-5 years ago, JimK mentioned something about proper procedure when pressing them in. If not, it may be possible that one a-arm is slightly more forward than the other. Other than this, and the camber, there are no other ways to adjust the lower a-arm.
Dr. Alban
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

Post by Paul Bird »

Hi Zamani, yes I did change all bushes, I did think that this may have caused the problem, what is the solution?

Paul UK. :twisted:
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Probably the best thing to do now is just to take of the tires from both side and measure the relative difference (if any) in position of the a-arms. If there is a significant difference, my guess is to decide, which of the 2 a-arm can be fixed. I think that would involve either pressing the bushing in more or check how the bushing was installed. If I recall, one end of the bushing is tapered, so it should only go in one way.
Dr. Alban
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Probably the best thing to do now is just to take of the tires from both side and measure the relative difference (if any) in position of the a-arms. If there is a significant difference, my guess is to decide, which of the 2 a-arm can be fixed. I think that would involve either pressing the bushing in more or check how the bushing was installed. If I recall, one end of the bushing is tapered, so it should only go in one way.
Dr. Alban
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

Post by Paul Bird »

Hi, yes I will check all the front suspension at the weekend. As I recall, the bushes did go in quite easily, I also think that it is the passenger side which is at fault as the drivers side has plenty of clearence all round equally.

I willlet you know!!

Paul UK.