PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Power steering into '87 GTV6

Post by PietereQ »

Thanks Scott. So I basically I need to connect these two, seal the rest and voila?
Attachments
Kopia maglownica 75 TS 1.JPG
Kopia maglownica 75 TS 1.JPG (43.03 KiB) Viewed 4036 times
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Hi PietereQ:

I do remember getting your email, I thought I answered it, but perhaps not. I was highly medicated for a couple days last week. I am fine now.

To answer your question, the way you have shown it with the green line is correct. There should be another hose on the other side to equalize air pressure from the rubber bellows. That's it, just two hoses.

Greg
scott.venables
Gold
Gold

Post by scott.venables »

Yeah unless you pull the rack apart to take the seal out, in which case you only need the tube between the bellows

Scott
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Don't foget to fill it with fluid or connect the reservoit tank to it for lubrication(pump not necessary).

..then sit back and watch it piss out of the steering rod seals over the garage floor just to make life a little more fun. Another words,if it is an old unit, do the seals up first before you install it.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

All fluid should be removed and the rack should be packed with grease. Even if the seals are poor, it won't leak, the grease is too thick.

Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Thanks for inpt guys, I have drained all steering fluid, packed the rack with grease, and put the balance lines. Now the rack is installed in gtv6 and connected to the steering column. And there's slack. the joints on the column are 100% tight, so the slack appears to be on the rack, i don't know is it normal on a converted ps rack, or it just needs reconditioning? (yes steering wheel is awful but it's just proxy stuff)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dy8eWxPh34
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Pete,

You may recall me previously posting this conversion stuff for an Alfetta sedan..my experience was that there was no slack as indicated in the video. The movement could be attributed to some of these things:-

1 Wear in the rack itself
2 Wear in the rack end ball joints (most likely)
3 Wear in the tie rod ends
4 Wear in any splines (unlikely)
5 Wear in top and bottom ball joints

Naturally depending on the combined wear of the above components, you could have a cummulative effect from each one of these things resultiong in an overall play.

BTW I ran my set up without a pump and just used the fluid reservoir to suppply a steering fluid to the rack. It gave a nice feel and good ratio. This is a sensible conversion in my opinion so it is worth your while to perservere. There should be no appreciable difference in the rack performance whether it is filled with grease or fluid if it is not being assisted. In my case it took me some time to create a mounting rack for the steering pump on the 2 litre engine but I wanted to use the car during this period hence I kept the original fluid set up alive until I did the complete instal.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Mike, nothing except the column is connected to the rack, so the rack must be fault. Well I just need to unbolt it again and take to the shop. It cant be too easy can it :?: :?

What else I noticed is that it appears to be slightly "locked" in the center. I don't know how to describe it, but when you turn the steering wheel you just feel the change in resistance, wchich just comes when the rack is centered to go straight. I guess I'll leave it to the mechanics, and report back.