PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Drop Spindles

Post by PietereQ »

Ok, havent found a topic soley dedicated to the drop spindles, and I'm pretty psyched getting a pair of these. I do not want to discuss the merits of DS, because it has been discussed on forum many times. I have questions regarding fabricating/availability.
From what I found on forums, there are two ways; either getting sz/rz spindles (which can be crossed out, due to their rarity), or making 2 drop spindles from 4, by cutting & welding. I've spent a whole day calling most of welding/metal processing shops in my area, and when they heard of welding such safety critical component, they all refused to do it and take responsibility. One shop suggested making compeletely brand new spindles on CNC - I'm about to meet them next week and discuss details, yet I'm rather convinced it will cost an arm and a leg :?
I'm running out of options but still i have some ideas/questions:

-how much drop? I'd like to still be able to run 15" rims
-any readily available solutions, where to source?
-any spindles from other cars can be adapted?

Any pictures, hints etc. greately appericiated guys!

Pete
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Drop Spindles

Post by Zamani »

Better to email/pm alfar7 on alfabb. He has a few sets on hand I think, just specify what size wheel you're going to use. better do it quick before the Euro becomes banana money :wall: :mrgreen:
Dr. Alban
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hey Pete,

Contact Daniel on this Forum. He'll make you some..
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Well, it's definitely better to go shopping from an Aussie vendor these days. :D
Dr. Alban
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

With 15" wheels you have limited space for drop. Just go measure the distance from the ball joint stud to the rim. Don't forget to allow some room for flex of wheel. This is a critical part. You need someone who is experienced in this! You only need two donor spindles per side if you are making big drop spindles (which you won't with 15" wheels).
Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Last I talked to him Larry Jr. at APE would make up a set for you (Alfa Parts Exchange) http://www.apedirect.com/

Be sure to call him and leave a message ...he will get back to you as he sometimes is knee deep in pulling apart a car.

hth,
zig
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Benninca down here in Oztralia sell them but on an exchange base's.
Definite legal issues associated with welded suspension components especially when welding forged and/or heat treated components.
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

WOW! Thanks guys! Very informative as always! Didn't get any emails regarding replies to this topic, so I thought it died. Anyway, I'm kinda suspended for a while, I have had my leg put in a cast - that's what happens when you start practising extreme sports... and they say racing can be dangerous :lol:
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Geez Pete, hope it's nothing serious like a plaster cast on the middle leg !! :D :D
Still, getting signatures on it could be kind of fun. 8)
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

HAHA! :lol: :lol:

I'm getting new "light" resin like -cast today. I guess even doctors understand that extra weight impaires perfomance 8)
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

I finally got time to re-do the front suspension on the 3.7 race car. It now has 1.65" drop spindles from Richard Jemison, and Ron's full race suspension which eliminates rubber/poly bushings, has adjustable shocks, and uses a true coil over at the rear. Anyway, here are some pics.

The 3rd picture shows the sway bar still disconnected where it was adjusted with the original spindle (other side of sway is still attached to A-arm with original spindle). So, it basically shows how much more level the A-arm is with the drop spindle.

Jes
Attachments
old and new spindle
old and new spindle
Spindles.jpg (160.28 KiB) Viewed 8615 times
front right side assembled
front right side assembled
RSRaceSpindle2.jpg (182.54 KiB) Viewed 8613 times
right side on the ground (with drop spindle)
right side on the ground (with drop spindle)
RightSide.jpg (131.72 KiB) Viewed 8605 times
left side on the ground (with original spindle) - both sides at similar ride height
left side on the ground (with original spindle) - both sides at similar ride height
LeftSide.jpg (131.89 KiB) Viewed 8606 times
the spindle clearance to 7x17" TD Pro Race 1
the spindle clearance to 7x17" TD Pro Race 1
Clearance.jpg (91.5 KiB) Viewed 8607 times
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Hey Jes, thanks for the pics - you can see the difference. BUT Given the fact that 1,75" drop spindles barely clear 17 rims, (still judging only on the pics) made me wondering if it's of any use for 15"s. With smaller drop for 15" (as i assume) will I be gaining any negative camber at all? or just minimisig the actual camber gain.
Btw how much did those DS cost?

Pete
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Pete,

If you are using coil overs only, you could move the LCA location point on the chassis up by refabricating the mount points appropriately. This would leave the rim clearance issues the same. Of course you would also need to modify the steering arm for bump steer as has been done by Jes.

A harder road but achievable. Instead of wheel clearance now you would have ground clearance issues...perhaps a combination of the two for compromise?

Not a good idea if you are using torsion bars.
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

PietereQ wrote:Hey Jes, thanks for the pics - you can see the difference. BUT Given the fact that 1,75" drop spindles barely clear 17 rims, (still judging only on the pics) made me wondering if it's of any use for 15"s. With smaller drop for 15" (as i assume) will I be gaining any negative camber at all? or just minimisig the actual camber gain.
Btw how much did those DS cost?

Pete
Pete, you can measure the clearance you currently have between the balljoint stud and your 15" rim. Subtract 1/4" (to allow some flex) and you have the number for max drop spindle. But, yes, probably not that much. If the stud extends excessively beyond the nut you can trim it.

I think I paid $425 for the work. In addition it takes donor spindles. Two sets (2 left spindles and 2 right spindles) in my case due to the large drop.

Jes
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

MD wrote:Pete,

If you are using coil overs only, you could move the LCA location point on the chassis up by refabricating the mount points appropriately. This would leave the rim clearance issues the same. Of course you would also need to modify the steering arm for bump steer as has been done by Jes.

A harder road but achievable. Instead of wheel clearance now you would have ground clearance issues...perhaps a combination of the two for compromise?

Not a good idea if you are using torsion bars.
I want to do it as simple and cheap as possible, so I thought of torsion bar coilover combo.

Jes,
From what i rouglhy measured (It's really cold out there, so is my garage ) Drop for 15" rims including flex clearence is around 4,3 cm. Cost wise (exchange rate) I don't know if it's worth, if I can buy new fully adjustable coliovers for around 320$ :? Too bad i bought PS3 four weeks ago :lol: