cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Steering Alignment

Post by cchan »

Hello Everyone,

So I pulled the Alfa out of Storage on Friday to detail it and drive it to the Wine show at Infineon this weekend. The steering was at 2pm rather than the 12pm that it was when I parked it. I was alittle confused since not one drove it and could not understand why it would be off. The car still tracked straight but just had the steering wheel off. I parked it from Friday till today.

Today, I brought it to Joe's shop to take care of some interior details and the steering wheel is back at 12pm. I am not complaining or anything but just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. The Alfa was professionally aligned by a speed shop and Phil did the steering wheel install for me so I know I did not install incorrectly. Its just odd and I may bring it on the track for a parade lap or two so I just want to make sure it is safe.

Thanks for any comments.
Carter Hendricks
Silver
Silver

Re: Steering Alignment

Post by Carter Hendricks »

It is [probably] the rubber bushing at the base
of the steering column and it is even more
confusing [and less fun] when it happens while
driving and the car skips lanes.

--Carter
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

CChan, this is EXTREMELY dangerous. I have had on several of my GTV's over the years. If the rubber pops out the 'sleeve' you have no steering. Order new part asap or you can get a pro to weld it in position with a washer over . But welding weakens are around shaft. This problem of steering normally occured from extra stress from wider tyres or flat tyres. There was a thread all about this somewhere !!
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Ok, I have looked at my Alfa and I think that I found the area in question.

1).Is this the Correct part to the right of the headers?

2). Can this be repaired without taking the engine out?

Sorry for the poor picture. This is my Treo Camera.

Thanks for the info.
Attachments
Alfa Steering Joint.JPG
Alfa Steering Joint.JPG (32.25 KiB) Viewed 3554 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Yes, sometimes the horn wire breaks because it rotates to much. You dont have to take engine out. take another pic on the top of that sleeve. Get some one to turn steering left and right while some one holds the front wheels. You can see the movement. If its not there then the bolt that holds the splines inside the car under the pedals has come out.