mmelton
Silver
Silver

Tie Rod Adjustment?

Post by mmelton »

While inspecting the front end on my '85 I noticed a lot of play in both front wheels. Thought it might be worn tie rod ends, but saw instead that as I wiggled the wheels back and forth the tie rods were moving at the inboard end, at the accordianed dust boots. On my spiders, there is an adjustment on the steering box to remove this play. What about on the GTV6? I see what looks like a really big motorcycle steering damper (or a small shock absorber) in front of the tie rods, and a nut in the space between the tie rod and the damper. Could that be an adjustment? (It really doesn't look like it, but I don't see anything else that does.)

Neither my GTV6 shop manual nor my Milano shop manual are any help. Anybody know how to eliminate that play?
Mel Melton
'85 GTV6 (Old Red)
'86 GTV6 (New Red)
'84, '88 Spiders
Murray
Verde
Verde

Re: Tie Rod Adjustment?

Post by Murray »

Mel based on your description it sounds like what you need are Inner tie-rods,they wear just like the outers and might need to be replaced.The steering damper ,which looks like a lift strut has no role in "steering play" and is likely just sitting there doing nothing.In theory they were intended to absorb road shock in the steering but they are not a "critical" component.I've driven GTV6's with and without them and could never feel a difference.
There is an adjustment on the rack to take up slack between the pinion and the rack but it should be used with caution because overtightening can result in binding of the steering.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
mmelton
Silver
Silver

Post by mmelton »

Many thanks, Murray. Worn inner tie rods ends sounds exactly right. I didn't even think of that. But I checked my IAP catalogue, and there they were. Pretty pricey, too.

I wonder where those suckers are. I saw the tie rod diagrams you posted for Scott back in April of '07, but don't see anything there that looks like a tie rod end. Is it covered by the rubber boot? Or is it that big casting just inboard of the boot?

Somewhere in this forum I've seen instructions for removing the steering rack. Started with loosening the engine mounts and jacking up the motor, I believe. Is that where I start?

We'll hopefully (if time allows) get this thing up on some jack stands tomorrow (Sunday) and have a good look around (got to change a brake master cylinder--again--and inner wheel bearings if they come in today, anyway). But, again, I don't know what I'm looking for. From the diagrams, and the cost of those inner ends, I'm guessing they don't look like the outer ends.

Any instruction would be MOST welcomed.

By the way: I believe I'll stay away from that steering rack adjustment. I think you've identified the problem. Thanks again.
Mel Melton
'85 GTV6 (Old Red)
'86 GTV6 (New Red)
'84, '88 Spiders
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Mel in the attached diagram part #'s 9 & 20 are the inner tie-rods.Yes they are inside the boots.
Attachments
RACKPARTS.jpg
RACKPARTS.jpg (48.62 KiB) Viewed 3673 times
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
mmelton
Silver
Silver

Post by mmelton »

Murray:

That's just beautiful! After I posted the last I recalled I had bookmarked an Alfa 75 site called Craig's Place. Went to it and found some steering diagrams, but nothing like this. As we say down here in Dixie: 'preciate it!
Mel Melton
'85 GTV6 (Old Red)
'86 GTV6 (New Red)
'84, '88 Spiders