kanga
Silver
Silver

Bielstein shocks

Post by kanga »

I have purchased front and rear Bilstein shocks but realise they are the wrong ones they shoud be for the Alfetta GTV 6 or 2.0 but they are for the Alfetta, Guillieta and Alfa 6, they look the same but are a different part No. Is there any point in me trying to fit them to my 1984 Alfa GTV 6? or have I wasted my money?
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: Bielstein shocks

Post by kevin »

They should work. Try and see if they fit before you sell. Have you got a pic of rear and diameter of the rear tube.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

They will fit and be fine for the job.

One type is the "Upside down" type and the other is the conventional configuration but work equally well .
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Al_Cam
Silver
Silver

Post by Al_Cam »

Kanga,

With a name like that, are you in Australia?

If so, how much did you pay for the set, if you don't mind me asking?

Only I've got a set of wheezy OEM (SPICA ?) on the back of my car .

AL in Melbourne.
Al Campbell
kanga
Silver
Silver

Post by kanga »

Thankyou all for the advice, the OE ones are upside down, and the Bilstein are not, I was thinking of putting the Bilstein upside down , but didn't, I hope I made the right move. I have installed the rear ones so far and will do the fronts tomorrow.
I purchased them from Alfisti in Germany, Aus$320.00 delivered.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

The only problem I have had putting them the correct way is the bilstien shock diameter is larger and catches the cv boot which tears after all the rubbbing. I am working with bilstien at the moment to make small offset brackets to prevent this. My car has been at there head office here in SA for the last week.
kanga
Silver
Silver

Post by kanga »

I have the bilsteins with the large diameter end at the top, as that was the way they were meant to be , I thought, will it matter that I don't have them upside down? They are Bilstein part No's 1956 and 1957.
Zagato
Gold
Gold

Post by Zagato »

That is the standard type shocks for the Alfetta Chassis. It is a Twin-tube shock
like a standard one, for sporty driving you need the monotube ones!

Regards

Zagato
kanga
Silver
Silver

Post by kanga »

The shocks are fitted, the only problem was the bushes for the top of the front shocks didn't fit snugly in the hole, but a great improvement. Now I need to straighten the RHS transverse link as it is slightly bowed upwards. I have also received a set of "pace" rear springs, the softest they make which is slightly firmer than standard. I guess it will be a pig of a job.
kanga
Silver
Silver

Post by kanga »

The new rear springs are in, they are 33cm long, a fair bit shorter than standard,the ride is firmer but more controlled but I don't like the appearance of the lowered rear , and now I guess I will have to tackle the front to balance things up. I straightened the RHS rear transverse link, as it was slightly bent, I assuyme the RHS one should not be bent. Is it normal for the swivel of the watts rear on the axle to be not straight ie 180 degrees?