Duk
Verde
Verde

Re: Ordering coilovers - need advice

Post by Duk »

On the subject of seam welding, first of all it's a race car, so chassis rigidity should be of the highest importance. That, and it's not like it adds much weight. I say do it :D .

Secondly, and this is just my opinion, while the RSR suspension kit is marketed as not requiring any additional chassis strength, I always wonder at what point you would require it.
The RSR uses 698lb/in springs.
That's wheel rate of 433lb/in by them selve's.
That's 4.66 times higher than standard.
Even if you only used 0.5" of spring compression, that is still 349lb/158kg of force
being pushed into the chassis.
The SZ used additional chassis bracing and bonding to hold it's chassis together and they only used 285lb/in springs.
Last edited by Duk on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Keep in mind there are quite a few different springs available with the RSR kit. I don't know for sure, but I think the softer sets are similar in stiffness to the SZ set up. The SZ doesn't use torsion bars so all of the weight is on the coil spring's perch (at the front, that means the shock tower). With the RS kit the stress is divided between the coil spring's perch and the torsion bar mounts. It seems to work very well.

Greg
killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by killaz »

PietereQ: Have you decided what to install? :)
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Funny that you ask today. I have bought them year ago and I'm now just about to visit the shop for fitting them/making brackets. One thing I can say they look very solid and have excellent price. For front coilovers with adjustable damping + rear adjustable dampers I have paid around 430 Euros with shipping! If I could've done something different I would have ordered them with shorter stroke, other than that we'll see how they'll perform.
http://www.alfagtv6.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... 3&start=45
Will post pics of installed setup later.
killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by killaz »

Which one you bought for front/rear? I'm also thinking of ordering them... They are adjustable for bump/rebound?
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Here's the promised pic. Mind you this is still work in progress. Need to buy imperial screws for the coilover bushings, and make few minor adjustments, order new shorter coils, and helper springs. The front coilovers are from GP line (universal, matched by dimensions), whereas the rear shocks are direct fit for 75/GTV(6) (check catalogue)
Attachments
DSC00589.JPG
DSC00589.JPG (180.79 KiB) Viewed 4286 times
killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by killaz »

Great info, I really appreciate it!

So, You bought as planned 170/100/B12? Is there possibility to specify while ordering coil length and spring rate? And last, how stiff are rear dumpers?

Sorry for being pain with questions.. :D
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

No problem, better safe than sorry. The rear dampers are adjustable as well, so you can stiffen them as you like. When I was looking through the gaz catalogue I was baffled when I realized that I have heard no feedback about gaz shocks on any transaxle alfas. You can read (hear) stuff about koni's, bilsteins etc. but none about GAZ. I guess they re new into this little alfa market. I looked into invoices to be 100% sure if they were the 170/100/B12 but couldn't find the model name. My hint is this, substract 2-3 inches of stroke since it is approximately what the adapter brackets will take. Now With my coilovers I have around 8cms of stroke and LCA's are pointing slightly upwards.