Smity42
Silver
Silver

GTV vs 75 DeDion "Triangle"

Post by Smity42 »

Hi Guys,

A nice easy one (hopefully). Is there any differences between the "Triangle" (axle + arms up to the front of the transaxle) between a GTV and a 75? Can I swap a 75 "Triangle" into my GTV?

BTW, what is that bit actually called?

Cheers,

Martin
Micke
Verde
Verde

Re: GTV vs 75 DeDion "Triangle"

Post by Micke »

Easy indeed.

It is called a DeDion rear axle. And yes, you can swap them between any models. The SZ looks slightly different but then the "risk" of getting one isn't big.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Dion_tube

Weight differences are reported but which ones are lighter or heavier isn't clear to me. I have a stack and don't even remember which car they come from.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

The Sei also uses a Dedion axle but with a diff only and the gearbox upfront. That is the only other Alfa Dedion that i can think think off (aside the SZ/RZ one) that is different.

Off course there is a difference in the mounting flanges for the axles and wheels, 4lug/5lug and the bolt-size for the axles. :wink:
Drive it like you stole it...
Smity42
Silver
Silver

Post by Smity42 »

Thanks guys.
Giuliettaevo2 wrote:Off course there is a difference in the mounting flanges for the axles and wheels, 4lug/5lug and the bolt-size for the axles. :wink:
Yep, I want to do the swap to get the five stud ;). Seems to be the easiest way after breaking 2 breaker bars trying to get the big 36mm hub nuts off :(. I didn't know about the different bolt sizes for the half shafts though, that could get interesting...
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

The 75 TS uses the 5 lug but has M8 bolts holding the axle. The 75 1.8Tb and v6 use M10 bolts. :wink:

The thread on the big 36mm nuts is different from eachother, left and right thread on opposite sides. Perhaps you were trying to turn them the wrong way? :oops:

your switching from 4lug to 5lug? what did you do up front? if you're converting a 2.0liter to 5 lug you can get away with only the hubs, discs and calipers but if you have a 1.6liter car you might also have to change the spindles.
Smity42
Silver
Silver

Post by Smity42 »

Giuliettaevo2 wrote:The 75 TS uses the 5 lug but has M8 bolts holding the axle. The 75 1.8Tb and v6 use M10 bolts. :wink:

The thread on the big 36mm nuts is different from eachother, left and right thread on opposite sides. Perhaps you were trying to turn them the wrong way? :oops:

your switching from 4lug to 5lug? what did you do up front? if you're converting a 2.0liter to 5 lug you can get away with only the hubs, discs and calipers but if you have a 1.6liter car you might also have to change the spindles.
Mine were actually both standard Right hand thread nuts (I know, because we EVENTUALLY got them off). They were just seized/rusted on nice and tight.

Based on the workshop manual, I think its the inner nut thing that holds the bearing in that has one side reverse thread (I haven't gotten to them yet).

Fronts I plan to swap the whole spindles over, it is a 2L GTV but that seems like the easiest way.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

i believe that the spindles from a 2.0 are the same... if you just swap the hub with the disc and caliper you should be fine.. :)
Smity42
Silver
Silver

Post by Smity42 »

For those interested, it's all swapped over now.

5 Stud GTV:

4 Stud 75:

Swapped the whole triangle (and the crossmember bit on the front of the deDion) over on the rear. I also made sure to keep the crossmember mounts on the correct car (75 ones seemed to have a an extra bit of spacer metal on the bottom of them)

Neither car has a transaxle or halfshafts at the moment but I'll just use the appropriate halfshafts to match the rear hubs.

On the front, I just swapped the spindles over, brakes and all. This seemed like the easiest option, and I'm sure I read somewhere that the 75 spindles are a bit stronger to support the bigger brakes.
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

out of curiosity, what are you doing with the 75?
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
Smity42
Silver
Silver

Post by Smity42 »

la_strega_nera wrote:out of curiosity, what are you doing with the 75?
Stealing parts off it :P

I bought it for the 5 stud, front brakes (although i will use them on the rear and get something bigger for the front) and V6 conversion parts (engine mounts etc). As an added bonus it had a LSD transaxle in the boot, although the final drive ratio is rubbish, I am trying to acquire a 75 box with a better ratio to put the LSD into.

One of my mates wants to restore the 75 when i am done, and use it for a daily. It will no doubt cost him a lot more to replace the parts I steal than I paid for the whole car, but should be fun. We got it running on the weekend :D I love Alfa V6s