MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

DeDion crossmember spacers

Post by MR2 Zig »

What spacers go in between the DeDion crossmember and the body? Any? this for both GTV6 and Milano. I want to know what I should have on my 83 GTV6 non-iso shifter. I also want to know what is right on the Milano. I think that the previous owner may have mixed and matched on parts.

I have round spacers about 25mm thick at the forward 2 bolt locations and another dogbone shaped one , same thickness, for the rear 2 bolts. The spacers are the same on both sides of the car and hold the crossmember down and away from the body by that 25mm amount.

I haven't found anything in the service manuals on CarDisc. I don't have a parts manual. If you can point me to one maybe I can figure this out.

Thanks,
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Re: DeDion crossmember spacers

Post by MR2 Zig »

ah heck...my mind is a sponge...full of holes.

The spacers in place now are about 12-13mm thick or half an inch. Not the 25mm/ 1 inch i had in my first post on this.
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

The only thing i know is that these spacers were used on the 75 with the larger diameter donuts. The v6 and 1.8Tb model both used these spacers. The other 4 cilinder cars didn't have them. So my guess is that the GTV6 should use them and the GTV4 not. :wink:
Drive it like you stole it...
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Giuliettaevo2, thanks for the input!

I have a bit of vibe at different rpms and with all new mounts and guibos inplace i think either i have the wrong spacers (or spacers where there should be none) or I need the little extra spacer plates to back on the front transaxle mounts. I bought the transaxle mounts with the extra plates on them as for the Milano/75. I then took the plates off as for GTV6 and installed them.

I'm planning on putting them back in today and see if that fixes things.
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Try loosening al the bolts on the donuts ( just a few turns, not completely!) and run the car for a few seconds. Then tighten them up again. that way they can "settle" themselves.

I believe Greg Gordon has an excellent piece on driveshaft troubles on his website. :wink:
Drive it like you stole it...
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Greg's is where I found out about the little extra plates on the front trans mounts.
I had already tried the loosen and spin thing without success :cry:

Thanks though,
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR