MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Differnce between GTV6 and Milano with Bilsteins

Post by MR2 Zig »

I saw a set of Bilstein shocks for sale used that have the Milano part number. Bilstein's website lists differnt numbers for the GTV6 and the Milano. I want to put these on my GTV6.

What is the differnce between the Milano and GTV6 shocks??

Thank you,
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
Zagato
Gold
Gold

Re: Differnce between GTV6 and Milano with Bilsteins

Post by Zagato »

What part numbers is the shocks, an what year is your car?
Terafrost
Gold
Gold

Post by Terafrost »

I had a set of B4s that I pulled from an Alfa 90. They had the same part number as the 75 (Milano), but had no bump stops. Now, it may be an isolated incident, or a mistake by a previous owner regarding installation of the shock covers, but needless to say it caused some very odd movement in my GTV6. It felt like the car was on water over high speed, long bumps. Sharp bump response was fine.

It could have been due to a model year difference, as the early (pre 85) cars had bump stops on the body, as I seem to recall. So watch out for the model year differences.

Could be nothing. My 2c.
Alex

1985 GTV6
1983 GTV6 - Project
1985 ALFA 90 GCL - in many, many pieces... Anyone?
1987 ALFA 75 TwinSpark - Now running around Victoria.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

the shocks: Front: F4-B46-1175-H0
Rear: F4-B46-1176-H0

My car is a 1983 GTV6. Bilstein calls for 24-4657 (f) (new number series)
24-4756 (r)

When I go to Mats favorite site :wall: at koni I see the same number listed for both the Milano and GTV6.
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

I should say that the new bilstein number for the Milano is 24-1176 and 24-1175.
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
Terafrost
Gold
Gold

Post by Terafrost »

The Koni part numbers are the same because in the later cars, you have to re-use the bump stops from the original shocks. The same shock can be used for the early cars, just with a different cover.

Regarding the Bilstein part numbers, they have changed since mine were purchased, evidently. Seeing as the shocks will most likely have internal bump stops, I'm guessing you may run into issues. I seem to remember that the shocks are a different length between the Milano and a pre-'85 GTV6. The length of the Koni's is less of an issue, as the difference is made up by the bump stops in the rubber boot.

Maybe someone else can confirm?

Edit: I think the Bilsteins have internal bump stops, model dependent?
Alex

1985 GTV6
1983 GTV6 - Project
Zagato
Gold
Gold

Post by Zagato »

There is no internal bumpstops in Bilstein shocks, In monotube struts and Inserts for struts there is, but of couse there is no struts on the GTV6! You can use the B46-1175 and 1176 on your car but you need dustcovers. The main difference between shocks for the the old (pre 85 app.) and new (85 forward app.) is that the old car has bumpstops separately on the chassis, and the new ones has them incorporated with the dustcovers like on a 75. No dustcovers is delivered with 1175/1176 so you will have to arrange that yourself. By the way Bilstein B4 is a standard/original twintube type shock,for these cars you should go for B6 that is the monotube shock that Bilstein is famous for!
Terafrost
Gold
Gold

Post by Terafrost »

My mistake. The dust cover/bump stop part was what I was ultimately getting at. Poor choice of words!
In regards to the internal bump stop idea, I guess I shouldn't always trust second hand information! I've not had either shock apart, nor have I installed B6s. I only used the B4 as a reference as that's the shock I've had experience with. It came with a standard cover, with no bump stop. It had milano/75 part numbers. Simply meant for Zig to be mindful of what the shock came with/needed for proper installation.

Cheers
Alex

1985 GTV6
1983 GTV6 - Project
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Thanks for all the info.
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I saw a a set of billies for sale on Alfabb. BTW, AROSC is going to have an event at Buttonwillow mid April, you should go. Many of use V6 guys are gonna be there.
Dr. Alban