shures
Gold
Gold

Front Hub Nuts

Post by shures »

My 85 GTV-6 has a spindle that is not drilled to accept a cotter pin lock for a castellated nut. There are several possible fixes, can you help with any of them?

1) drill the the spindle to accept a cotter pin, the simplest solution. I hear DiFatta (local here in Maryland USA) does this. Any advice as to if this can be done without disassembling everything and going to the drill press?
2) secure flanged nuts that allegedly were used on late model 75's in Europe. Ed @ DiFatta knows what they are but does not have any. I contacted Highwood in England and await a response. Do you know where I can get some?
3) pursue the "Mercedes" type hub nut that has a locking set screw. I did find these through a website called dealer to dealer BUT it involves placing separate orders for each and I will actually need an additonal set of the washers according to other posts here. Do you have any available for sale?
Scott Shure
Ellicott City, Md
85 GTV-6
Bruce
Gold
Gold

Re: Front Hub Nuts

Post by Bruce »

2) Because I'm a tight-arse, I welded a small strip of metal to the missing / damaged flange section of my nuts(!)