Jim K
Verde
Verde

Power steering on 24v, rwd

Post by Jim K »

Hey guys, has anyone dealt with the p/s issue while going 24v in the 75/gtv6 chassis? I'm asking because I'm doing just that these days and this is he reason the 24v isn't in the car yet. I decided to use the original 75 p/s pump from the 4cyl engine. These are the same pumps used in 3liter cars but with a slightly different pulley. I wanted to mount it in the same place as with the 12v engine and keep the existing pipes, but I had to make up a special bracket for the job. Conveniently enough, there are 3 tapped holes (M10x1.25mm thread) on the side of the 24v head, just behind the exhaust cam gear and right below the valve cover. There was a heavy iron bracket there originally (for the fwd alternator?) and I chopped it down to where only a triangle with 3 holes is left and I epoxied this to the head (sort of like a spacer to clear the cambelt). I then configured my bracket from 5mm thick steel plate and cut 3 mounting slots to fix it to the head with the original M10 bolts. Why slots? They serve for belt tightening. All in all, I think the result is a neat job, although it could be done with a one-piece bracket instead of a split one. At this point, I’ll leave it as is.
The only pump modification necessary for this application was to completely eliminate (grind off) the two mounting ears, as they interfered with the intended orientation inside the bracket, hindering access to the three 17mm-head bolts. The pump itself was rebuilt by changing the 7 internal O-rings. Seeing it looks crappy, I may repaint it with 2-part epoxy paint.
Jim K.
Attachments
PC010005.jpg
PC010005.jpg (178.14 KiB) Viewed 9382 times
PC010004.jpg
PC010004.jpg (230.66 KiB) Viewed 9382 times
PC010003.jpg
PC010003.jpg (237.66 KiB) Viewed 9382 times
squadragrunn
Gold
Gold

Re: Power steering on 24v, rwd

Post by squadragrunn »

coincidentally, i'm also fitting a 24v and powersteering in my gtv , but i will be using l later type pump wich uses the mutibelt
i still have to figure out what and how......but i can use the original studs. this pump is much smaller and lighter and i dont have to swap pulleys and align them
for starters
-charles-
gtv6 3.0 24v, 164qv 24v, maserati biturbo 2.8 evo, mb 500se, zzr1100d
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Nice. I'm going to try to fit 2 things next week.
1) 164 starter
2) 164 PS pump
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

The 164 PS pump is my choice too. Much more compact. (that's if you got chicken wing arms and you need power steering :D )
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

I guess it comes down to what one likes, which is always subjective. Since I had a few of these pumps lying around and I can also repair them (curing leaks with new O-rings) I went with this choice, keeping the same pipework. Looks much better today after I painted it! Pretty soon there won't be any excuse not to put the engine in the car, heheh, aside from the fact the exhaust man is gonna get rich ... :cry:
Jim K.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

If you can do engine work, exhaust work is nothing. Except that you have to lie on your back a lot. Oh and you have to have a nice welder :)
Dr. Alban
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Even so, you can't beat a good system done by an expert with a proper bending jig! Its a joy to look at! Even the welds look pretty! That takes a whole lot of practice to get right!
I hope to have pics for you in a few weeks.
Jim K.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

you mean in Athens you have shop with mandrel benders? There's no such thing here. All bends are crush bends, distorted. They just want to "Git'r done" and tell you to "let 'er rip" after that.....if you know what I mean.
Dr. Alban
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Yes, there are many shops with hydraulic tube benders and a couple with computerized ones where multiple bends can be executed in series with a cnc program. The shop I go to I've known since '85 where I made the gtv headers. They only wrk with ss now (all of them) and they insist on polishing everything 100% before final assembly! A couple of these shops are qualified makers/exporters of headers for Subarus and other supercars. As far as quality goes, I can only say that the 3liter car has the same ss system he made in 1998, no deterioration at all!
Jim K.
killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by killaz »

I've installed 164 PS pump on 24v, tip is to take carrier from AR156V6 steering pump and bolt it on to the left head. Few minor adjustments are required with spacers, but it's pretty straight forward.

A bit of grinding is required to make clearance for alternator too.

75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

I think I will go with a mr2 electric power steering pump and clear up the fro t of the engine. Less pulleys and belts. I will upgrade my alternator to 120 amps as I also intend to go with a craig davies water pump or a bmw water pump.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Power steering in a GTV6! You guys are a bunch of girly men.

Greg
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

What we have here is a double edged sword.

On the one hand power steering provides some relief at very slow speeds and during parking manoeuvres especially if you have oversized tyres and run lowish pressures.

Drawback : Loss of steering precision ,road feel and connectivity.

On the other hand, manual steering under the same conditions demands more steering effort to be sure but not unmanageably so. I run 225 tyres and use a 330mm steering wheel and still manage but why would you put up with this?

The reason is. Complete steering feedback so you know what the front end is doing and minute corrections you make under brisk pace conditions are transmitted back to you to provide much more precise car control.

I own a 75V6 with power steering which is a factory fitting. It drives fine just like a city car should. As you know I also own a GTV6 with a manual rack and it drives like a scalded cat that's had a hot Alfa branding iron applied to its arse and set free whilst the other one just seems like one. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Never lose sight of the fact that you are driving a sports car and not a shopping trolley.

It's your call.
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Greg Gordon wrote:Power steering in a GTV6! You guys are a bunch of girly men.

Greg
Greg, I never knew you had it in you :mrgreen: .

MD, for a road car on road tyres (tires for the Union jack deficient (that's a joke, by the way) :P ) is it really that important? I was really happy with my 75's steering. My uncles old (and rather tired) GTV6 felt very different but I wouldn't say it was better or worse.
Scrub radius and caster angle have a very noticeable effect on steering weight and feel. Crank 7+ degrees of positive caster into your GTV6 with some +30 offset wheels and let us know how you go in car parks. I'm not (overly :wink: ) digging, but horses for courses.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hey Duk I think you're getting into the turps a bit early son, the New Year is just around the corner.. :D

Hope you have a happy one just the same when it gets here. :D