75evo
Verde
Verde

Re: Power steering on 24v, rwd

Post by 75evo »

MD,

If you have an electro hydraulic unit from an MR2, you can hook it up to a PWM circuit. Get the wheel seed from the ABS sensor, then invert it. The faster the speed the lower the assist.

BTW, about the girly man comment. I never thought JK was a girly man, but hey we learn new things eveyday! :mrgreen:
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

75evo wrote:MD,

If you have an electro hydraulic unit from an MR2, you can hook it up to a PWM circuit. Get the wheel seed from the ABS sensor, then invert it. The faster the speed the lower the assist.

BTW, about the girly man comment. I never thought JK was a girly man, but hey we learn new things eveyday! :mrgreen:
You could do something similar with a crank driven pump. Have a decent solenoid valve that joins between the delivery and the return line. A variable duty cycle PWM driver would drive the solenoid valve. Low/no fluid bypass at low vehicle speeds to give maximum assistance. And higher bypass to give much less assistance.

I think the challenge would be coming up with a good, user adjustable controller.

But, as an example, my Adaptronic computer can have a vehicle speed sensor based PWM driver set up to do such a thing. Prolly want to use a diode protected solid state relay to deal with the higher current that what the Adaptronic can sink (3 amps max). Only small downside is that the transition is totally linear and the behavior of the valve or the power steering mechanism might not be very linear itself.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Oooooh no, Greg wasn't aiming at me!....I don't have a gtv6, but someone in the upside down country has one and with factory ps.!! :oops: :twisted: :roll: Rumor has it when we wuz all kids with slingshots in our pockets, he had ...lipstick in his! :lol: :shock: :roll: :twisted: :oops: Now thats disgusting, especially combined with a beard!! :shock:
Jim K.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hahhaaa, that's our Jim of old. Welcome back bird brains. :D :D

We need some more lunacy in the techno mix as usual to put some light and shade into the conversation much like when you're sitting around the workshop drinking coffees with the lads and talking bullshit as is the nature of our combined passion.

OK. This is the last post I am going to say on this topic.

If you run big tyres, use the car mostly around town and around European or other tight goat tracks they call roads that are the size of walkaways,get some power steering and be sure you include a steering dampner in case your wrists experience some of that cobble stone rattle left by the Roman enginering works department. You will never need the steering feedback as the pace you will be travelling at will not warrant it and so it is academic.

On the other hand, if you use your car in a locale that has wide open spaces and contemporary roads actually built for cars, you use your car for both street,the track or other motor sport,you get into your wife's 4 wheel drive to do the weekly shopping, then for heaven's sake stick with the manual steering rack.

As for all these suggestions of alternative power assisted designs, well frankly,in the end it all comes back to the same outcome-decoupling which is the core of what I am trying to tell you.

In the land of the brave and free where large and heavy cars dictated a culture of power assisted everything, there is a mindset that says assisted power steering is what RWD Alfas need also. Likewise given European cars have been front wheel drive for several generations that in the main are all power assisted of necessity,the younger generation that have grown up with this would naturally think power steering is fine because they know nothing else.

Well folks,the Alfa works test pilots wouldn't agree with you and that is why the factory never fitted them, certainly not for the land of Oz thank goodness.

Make your choice on the basis of your preferences. Feedback or comfort.
You CANNOT have both. Don't care how you configure it.( Unless there is a new law that defies gravity that I am not aware of)

BTW.Jim can't be talking about me cause I dont own a GTV6 with power steering. Never have. However, I do smoke a pipe and carry it in my pocket occasionally. :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

a time ago I came across the picture of a power steering equipped renault twingo.
That is a unknown vehicle in the us and aus I guess.

And yes it is a flimsy shopping car, but look at the picture... electrical power assisted integrated in the column.
Attachments
$(KGrHqEOKowE54Bo!KH)BOmwIrZj,w~~60_12.JPG
$(KGrHqEOKowE54Bo!KH)BOmwIrZj,w~~60_12.JPG (48.2 KiB) Viewed 4837 times
$(KGrHqZ,!iQE7DCc7sy9BO-gJiU)H!~~60_12.JPG
$(KGrHqZ,!iQE7DCc7sy9BO-gJiU)H!~~60_12.JPG (15.99 KiB) Viewed 4837 times
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

The Opel Corsa C has the same kind of system. :wink:

There a quite a few conversions done with these systems already and most are very pleased with it. :)
Drive it like you stole it...