Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

front suspension ideas?

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Hello,

I'm looking into the front suspension for my GTV. I want this to be as low-budget as possible. :oops: Think of it as scrapheap-challenge-style... I know the easiest thing to do is to go out and order a RS suspension kit but that is way out of budget. :cry:

Adapting stuff that is allready in the shed is a more costfriendly approach for me. And it happens that i have a set of Bilstein PSS9 coilovers from a Subaru at hand. the struts itself can be quite easily modified i'm told. :)

In the rear it's not to difficult to make them fit but up front there are some challenges. :roll: Upper CA needs some work to make a coilover to go through and the body of the car will also need to be altered to take the long coilover.

While i'm at it it might be a good idea to change some other things in the front suspension as well. custom lower arms are an easy starting point as they will need some form off mounting point for the coilover. flipping the balljoint is a logical thing to do at this point. Since the car runs 17" wheels there's plenty of room inside the wheel for that.

The nose of the car will need some welding and strengthening for this. moving suspensionpoints is also a possibility then, is this a wise thing to consider?

any tips would be appreciated.. :)

gr. remco
Drive it like you stole it...
Duk
Verde
Verde

Re: front suspension ideas?

Post by Duk »

If I was going to the trouble of new lower suspension arms, I'd make them with the lower ball joint positioned further forward to help give positive caster without pushing the top control arm so far back to set up a decent amount.
You'll have to get out the trigonometry to help you with that though, 'cause I can't. :P
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

good one... but since i also have to alter the upper arms to clear the coilover it probably is not necessary. keeping the lower ball joint in it's original position gives me at least one fixed point in the suspension. :wink:
Drive it like you stole it...
killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by killaz »

Building lower arms is cheap? I want 2 pairs! :D