Jim K
Verde
Verde

Re: steeringpump faillure

Post by Jim K »

If you stop smoking that funny suspicious Aussie crap with the pink smoke, you'll realize (maybe if you sober up long enough) that parking your Alfa $hitbox with a V6, fat tires and 2.5 degrees -ve camber is much easier with ps. What's all this macho bs? the mech rack is 3.6 turns and ps is 3.2 turns, so faster. If your batmobile is only track-worthy, nobody cares and you can play muscle-man (hardee hahrhar!) but if its an everyday driver its different. May the Lord have you make a very tight 3-pointer with cars parked right up to your bumper to boot! THEN your mechanical job will be lots of fun! :twisted:

Jim K.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

So what do you wanna do?

Park it or

Drive it?

Get off the keyboard and pump some iron fella. :D

Drive ANY modern car and the first sensation is a complete disconnect from the machine. Power this, Power that. Insulate the other, Dampen this and neutralise the other thing. I swear the salesmen have convinced the engineers that we need all the poobah crap they have in cars today which adds weight and wastes fuel and performance. It takes energy to make lot of the unnecessary stuff work and haul that's there just because the competing brand has it.

The power steering will make an unnecessary impost on your engine power at the expense of steering feedback. If you want an easy to park shopping basket, get a Hyundai. Keep the GTV6 for the sole pleasure of driving a nude steering rack-no oil pump.
Last edited by MD on Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

If you want to be true to your BS, I expect you to change to roll-up windows also -and a flint lighter! I forgot streets in Oz are so big, you never make 3-pointers! A front-engine V6 $hitbox without ps, hahahah! Yeah,yeah, blame it on the salesman! Go back to whatever it is you smoke... :roll:

Jim K.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Well Greaser, I am already streets ahead. My GTV6 never had electric windows. Win one. Win two, the only thing I smoke is rubber and sometimes they are tyres :D Win three. I never drive front wheel drive cars.

Give up now before the hole you are digging for yourself will require a crane to haul your arse out.. :P
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Roll-up windown in a gtv6...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! :lol: Yep, there's a sucker born every minute and you is DA KING! They sure found someone to peddle that one to! I bet they charged you extra for the lack of power windows and what's more, you were glad to pay it. hahahahah! Did you also opt for ropes instead of proper seat belts? :twisted: :mrgreen: :roll: :wall:

Jim K.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hey Greaser, you are one unique Dude. Absolutely one out of the box. I figure you gotta a unique cranium (look the meaning up). The properties of this cranium are so thick that not even gamma rays cannot penetrate it. Any form of intelligence simply bounces clean off it usually leaving not a hair behind. Have you had a look at your chrome dome lately? What nothing to see? It all needs polishing?
Yep just as I thought, a gleaming desert up there. It figures.What I suggest is that you get a pubic crop transplant going. You need to use your own so there is no clinical rejection. They can work wonders these days.That way when you look at yourself in the mirror with a good mass of black locks and you can legitimately claim to be the complete dickhead. :mrgreen:

...and to bring it all home. If you have no steering pump, there can be no steering pump failure. Another case of less is more.
Last edited by MD on Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

I am now certain you don't know what a headache is!...How could you? :twisted: The upside is you can never drown either! :mrgreen: And another thing: remember when you wuz a kid and everyone said your 45 IQ score was perfect to keep you happy? Well, they lied! I can only hope it was enough for your basket-weaving and shoelace-tying courses! :mrgreen: :wall:

Jim K.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Somebody has to have the last word before we both get thrown off the Forum. Given that I am a humble guy and modest through and through,I will leave it with you. Somewhere amongst all the to and fro baloney are key words of wisdom just awaiting the discerning.Thanks for the laughs.

To the readers who do not know.

If you have ever seen the movie "Grumpy Old Men" you will relate immediately to the dialogue between my good friend Jim and myself. We take a certain liberty with each others characters for the amusement of others whilst actually having a quiet unspoken respect.

When it comes to humour, the Greaser can hold his own. Trouble is, he hangs onto it way too often. Oops, I let it slip.
105gta.
Gold
Gold

Post by 105gta. »

How's the pump mods going Killaz? Still holding up?
killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by killaz »

No problems at all! We had one track day since last update and finally, I don't think about ps pump performance any more. :D Next season will start frim april...
105gta.
Gold
Gold

Post by 105gta. »

Great to hear. Will be adding your mods to the list ;)
Thanks for sharing.
LukeC
Silver
Silver

Post by LukeC »

Hey, I registered here on "Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:52 pm"... Just found this post so I thought I would make my first post here.

Thanks killaz for the credit on my post from over on the Alfa BB (Clayton105). Since then, I put A/C on the car in its T-S form... needed the real estate back so went back to the original Z-F pump. The original pump gave slightly better weight and feel over the 164 pump.

The car now has a 164 3.0 V6 and I recently visited one of Australia's biggest car meets: Spettacolo in the deep (but civilized) south. i drove back through some of Australia's best driving roads (the Snowy Mountains). The verdict besides itching to start my next personal project (3.2 Alfetta GTA), was that the steering even with the heavier lump was +++.

Not wanting to buy into the bickering old farts (that are probably similar age to me) above, but I do remember the first time I drove a 75: on what was then a driver training track in SE QLD in Aus. I was blown way by how natural the steering was with no lost motion or feel. And at the time I ran a small mechanical workshop working on Alfas almost exclusively. I also owned a 2.0 Giulietta and a 105 Coupe at the time so had a great baseline to compare to.

My wife currently drives (dare I say it here...) a BMW 123d M-sport. 200bhp 2.0 diesel hatch that eats rear tyres for brekky. It was the first 1 series with electric PS. Absolutely zippo feel and a complete lack of sharpness in the steering in spite a wonderfully competent chassis. Compared to a mate's (same year) 135i M-Sport with hydraulic steering: Awesome power aside (but not sounding a patch on an Alfa V6), the steering is heaps better in feel and sharpness.

But compared to my 31 year old GTV with 75 PS: Not a patch.... the finest power steering I have ever used.

For 1/2 dozen measly kg being the only negative, will never go back.
darryl longley
Gold
Gold

Post by darryl longley »

ha ha
ive ditch my electric windows too
the electric ones are crap

and still never seen a gtv6 with power steering
killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by killaz »

LukeC: It's great to see you here! Thank you for being kind in sharing your work and knowledge!

105gta: Be aware that there are more models of this "square" ps pump. Some of them have pressed in orifice which is hard to take out (requires drilling and pressing in new fabricated part). Also, if pressing in will be required, special care must be taken for tolerances since housing of pump is soft and prone to deviation. My pump is salvaged from maybe Alfa 33, not shure but there is a picture of plate on first page with pump model number. This pump has floating orifice and it is really easy to work with...

All the best for you guys!

P.S. PS or non PS, keep Alfa rolling! :P
105gta.
Gold
Gold

Post by 105gta. »

Killaz: thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye out for that and be sure to Take note.
Mines a 156 pump, I'll report back here when I get to it so others may reference from it.