PaulyCC
Silver
Silver

17's on a GTV6

Post by PaulyCC »

I found these what I believe to be rare original type 17 inch campy's for the gtv6, not the 15's.. ;)

hehe ok i was gonna let that one sit until someone called me a stinkin liar. This is what happens when none of the SA dudes update these pages for us US Bored Alfisti.... photoshop..

But seriously, Im gonna be going with 17's and been doing a lot of research, unfortunately, the guys running the only type of modern rims that I like on Alfa's are in foriegn languages that i cant find a translator for... so trying to figure it out is tough.

I'm very particular about putting modern designed rims on these Alfa's and only realized recently that 17's actually look in the wheel well pretty good, i like them with a flat profile and flush to the fender though.. so I saw these compomotive's MO recently.

But they seem to have a flatter version (the one I like) and a more flowerly version like this guys car,

which looks really hot, but I want it flatter profile which im sure has something to do with the Offset of the rim, which is kinda weird but does make sense when you look at the design of the rim..... meaning... the deeper the bolts the more curved the rim becomes, makes sense..

Im going to call Compomotive on Monday, but if a smaller ET causes the design of the rim to be more flat the way I like, then using a spacer should work to negate having to use a larger ET to make it flush to the fender which i want. yes?

I heard someone on here call them heavy, I think it was Mats, but I think its ok cuz this isnt really a track car.. yet. ;)

Anyways if anyone has an idea on what this page says for those wheels?

http://www.alfapower.nu/gallery/album421

I think its swedish??? i would appreciate it, and if anyone knows him does he have any rubbing problems? hes running really low profile tires, do you think 225's would be ok all the way around for a 17x8 inch wheel? thanks alll

some more versions. for the flatter one.. come on it looks coool

Silver...

Darker to match the stripes....

70's Alfa GTA's!! haha

Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I know the owner... ;)

"8"*17" ET-20 med 225/35 om nån undrar.
Byttes mot 215/40 som är lite större (+15mm) och passar MYCKET bättre.
Kolla noga på de andra bilderna så ser ni skillnaden. (Det sitter 215/40 bak)."

Translates to:
8x17 ET 20 (20mm offset) if someone is wondering. Changed to 215/40 which are a little larger (+15mm) and fits A LOT better.
Look closely at the the other pics and you will notice the difference. (215/40 at the rear).

Compomotive MO is a rally rim and therefore it's very strong/heavy. Probably works very well on a street car, only problem is that it gives you a harcher ride and makes the acceleration slower... ;)
Looks extremely good.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Plastic Pig
Silver
Silver

Re: 17's on a GTV6

Post by Plastic Pig »

PaulyCC wrote:...But they seem to have a flatter version (the one I like) and a more flowerly version like this guys car,
The MO design varies slightly with offset etc. The "flowery" set might be Compomotive RLs (see www.compomotive.co.uk under "road wheels") .
Bill Smith
2000 GTV, GTV6 3.5, 75 3.0 V6, GTV 3.0 V6 24V
PaulyCC
Silver
Silver

Post by PaulyCC »

Hey All,
Thanks for the responses, hey Mats, do you think he's running 215/40's all around though? they look more extreme and different in size from front to back? but if it's 215's those look pretty good and probably won't rub..

edit*

So I called Compomotive USA, very helpful and nice but was in for a rude awakening, these rims are 375 a POP!, man those British love holding onto their Pound huh? hehe I mean in comparison you can get a nice set of OZ superleggera's for 250 a pop here, which I like too..

The flat versus flowerly is purely a design difference from 15 " to 17" , they tried to say offset too which is what I thought but it just came down to a design difference, which to me is a big enough difference to not even call it the same rim, but thats just me...

I will give an update on my choice. ;)

Hey Mats, you know this guy? I think those are OZ SuperTurismo's 19" !! :shock:

http://www.alfapower.nu/gallery/album707/aar
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Yeah, Thats Johans GTV. Those are actually real ETCC rims... 17" Look like Superturismo but they are not really available in that dimension on the open market. 9 inch wide I believe.
Tried one on the 75 and it was just silly, sticked out about an inch on the outside of the rear fender lip and was about 2mm from the inside wall. :)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

If the ET is right using slightly bigger tires in the rear will fit for sure. Front is more critical.

I use 225/45R17 front and rear in my GTV without problems. ET35 front and 25 rear.

PS! 225/45R17 also fits the 75 in the rear but not in front without substantial modifications.
PaulyCC
Silver
Silver

Post by PaulyCC »

Yea but what happens when you have to rotate the wheels? :) hahha jk. no the sizes sound great, 225 is sick, do you have any pics of your gtv? sorry if its already posted,

if you ran ET25 up front as well do you think it would be ok with 225/45R17, rubbing?
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Micke: Why the smaller ET in the rear? Looks or for fit?
Would perhaps give just a touch of more understeer, no?
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

ET is as small in both end as could possibly fit.
Problem is the scrub radius is pretty big and the tire moves a lot if front ET is small. 225/45 might not fit in an unmodified car especially if it's lowered.

Rear ET doesn't make a big difference in handling without other changes. As track increases, the spring and ARbar rate at the wheel decreases. To compensate for small ET you need to add suspension stiffness.

I checked my pics and I only have ones with the 16" tires on. They are exactly the same outer size, only the rim is 1" smaller.
Attachments
GTV @ HGR01 a.jpg
GTV @ HGR01 a.jpg (31.37 KiB) Viewed 10644 times
jrreeve
Gold
Gold

Post by jrreeve »

I'm waiting to throw on my 17's too. I'm think 225 all around, but if its gonna rub...i'll stick to 215's and be able to rotate the tires when necessary.

Rob
PaulyCC
Silver
Silver

Post by PaulyCC »

Those are some serious side skirts...
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

I wouldn't be surprised if someone is hiding a BIG vacuum cleaner under there somewhere!! :lol:
Jim K.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I have 225/50/16 race tires. Which chimp designed the front wheel well for the 75? Seems you could fit bigger wheels on a Yugo.
Dr. Alban
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Ahhh, Zamani, you want to play serious and fit real race tires on your rig?? You go get the IMSA body kit, replace the lower A-arms and the control arms with the 40mm longer items from Holland and you're ready for some F-A-T rubber on W-I-D-E wheels!! If you drive on the street though, well, it can be kind of embarassing, unless you couple looks with LOTS of uummph!! :twisted:
Then you'd show tracks to some Jap garbage cans! :twisted:
Jim K.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I did make the 225/50/16s fit in there for the last 3 events......somehow. I was under the impression that race tires came in as many sizes as do street tires. Silly me.

Basically I had to:
- move the bumper forward (and cut the top edge closest to the wheels a bit)
- roll the inner fender lip (now my fenders look like shit)
- hammer the bottom edge of the fender (close to the doors)
- trim the skirts
- remove the plastic fender liners

225/50/16 has the same (very close to) circumference as the 225/45/17. I'm using the Kumho V700 Victoracer. Love em but they're heavy. 25 lbs at the outer edges of the wheels. Probably lost 20 bhp right there. Not to mention that my gearing now becomes less track friendly.

I finally found out that Hankook will come out with the Z214 road race tire in 205/50/16 size. Should do the job. Looks almost like slicks really....

Or I may just go with the Team Dynamics Pro Race 1 with 205/40/17 Toyo Proxes RA-1. Not as fast as some of the race tires out there, but stickier than the best street tire, and lasts long too.