Dougie
Silver
Silver

Pinch Nuts

Post by Dougie »

All

While I currently replace front wheel bearings, rotors, caliper seals etc, I thought I would dig through the old posts to see if there was anything additional to be learnt and came across this old post from 2005 relating to pinch nuts.....
Michael wrote: "..........Also, consider replacing the stock axle nut and cotter pin with a clamping axle nut from a Mercedes or late model (approx 1991) 75:

Check this link here:
http://www.alfagtv6.com/wheel_b.htm

This allows you to set the torque much more accurately.

Cheers,
Intrigued, I obtained nuts under the 60701300 part number listed at the bottom of the article in the link above, which look like this:
Nut1.JPG
Nut1.JPG (70.65 KiB) Viewed 4551 times
Can anybody (please) verify if this is the correct item as per the earlier discussion on pinch nuts (some time has passed since the original article and things can change) and if so, confirm the method of locking the nut to the spindle. My vague recollection is the thinned rim of the nut is staked/deformed into the spindle keyway once the correct tightening torque has been achieved.

It's not something I'm keen to get wrong...........

Cheers
Doug
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Re: Pinch Nuts

Post by Jim K »

Once you have the bearing preload right, yes, the thin part is staked in the spindle slot.
Jim K.
Dougie
Silver
Silver

Re: Pinch Nuts

Post by Dougie »

Thanks Jim