Jim K
Verde
Verde

Re: JK Coilover Suspension

Post by Jim K »

Vids? I was too cheap to get a decent camera and I got a 'goextreme nano'. Well I had a difficult time trying to fix it on the 24v car rollcage and when I finally did, my mechanic (driving the 24v) forgot to turn it on... So much for track vids! I did good with the 1.8T though, better than I expected. I would have seen 5th/6th place instead of 14th overall, if I had slicks, which almost everyone else who mattered had. In this track, they are worth about 2.5-3" over the semis I have (Toyo 888's).
Jim K.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Semis are more fun and put less strain on the drive line if its still standard . Also gives you the option if its starts to rain and atleast you can drive home without changing tyres . But in the end of the day their only semis and much cheaper to run . Just got to live with that three second gap that's what I have done for the past few years . Its a great excuse I find :D
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

JimGreek wrote: but I'll get back on this as soon as I'm done.
Jim K.
I used a Greek to English translator and it came out as:

"Hey suckers, keep on checking back if you want but I'll be back here next year, I have 4 beach parties to go to and hot blondes to entertain!"

Funny how a short Greek sentence holds a lot of English words.....

:mrgreen:
Last edited by 75evo on Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hahhaa Zeefa, that's pure GOLD.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Why don't you all empty a pot of chili beans, sit on a big cork and wait for lift-off?? :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :wall:

Joking aside, what Kevin said about driving there and back on semis is true. I put 4 brand new 888's on, drove 600km there, played ~45laps and drove back another 600km. Yesterday I ordered 6 new Kumho V700 slicks for a total of 480Euros, not a bad price for 190/570-15. I would have liked something a bit wider like 215-225/45-15 but not available here. Pity also that Compomotive folded, just as I was about to order a spare set of MO's for the slicks. Anyone know of a good used set 8x15 MO flat 5-spokes? I have an excellent set of refurbished Speedline Corse 8x16's which I haven't used yet. Cost me... 980Euros...it was one of the stupid impulsive things we sometimes do...
I have a whole year to improve both the 1.8T and the 24v which will become 3.2liter. Both cars will get the big Brembo calipers I posted some time ago. There's significant braking distance difference with 40% bigger pad area from the std Brembo red 4-pot ones! The guy who bought my 12v car will also buy the current 24v 3liter engine for 4000Euros when the 3.2 is ready to be installed in the car. I do hope to have ~300+ hp on that; time will tell. The 1.8T will get the new shocks and possibly the GTX2863R snail to be able to see 2-2.2bar (29-32psi). We'll see if it continues to be reliable -still no forged parts. I recently built a 1.8T for a customer with forged parts and GTX2863R, so I'll see how this goes before I decide on the snail. It hits the road this week and after break-in it will be mapped; THEN I'll know what the new snail is good for -must have a good reason to spend ~1200Euros! :roll:
Jim K.
jamal555
Silver
Silver

Post by jamal555 »

2.2 bar :) that's in the 380hp range? how will the transaxle hold that? No burning rubber on the lights... torque must be a killer on the box from that.

Does the GTX2863R have significant advantage over gt2876R in faster spool and gentler torque delivery or is it just for more boost sacrificing a little of both?
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Today my mechanic started and drove for the first time the 75 1.8T with the engine I built. This has the GTX2863 and his first impression is it sees 'positive' at 2000-22000rpm! The car has to do ~600km for engine break-in and then it will be mapped.
We have another guy with a 1.8T who runs 2bar (~30psi) all the time and drags the piss out of it. No mishaps so far, the gearbox holds up nicely. He's the guy with the strangely broken flywheel I posted some time ago. I don't drag my car but I want better performance on the track. I will drive the one I built to get an idea of how the GTX behaves. If I like it, the aftermath will be expensive... 8)
If afr, advance and temperatures are correct, I believe 2-2.2bar (30-32psi) is entirely safe with stock parts.
My feeling is the 2876 is a bit big for the 1.8T, unless you want over 6500-7000rpm -not suited to street use.
Jim K.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Jim wakes up so early, his alarm clock wished he had a snooze button. :lol:

Although he is curiously late to this update :roll:
Attachments
chapplet_12.gif
chapplet_12.gif (8.14 KiB) Viewed 7725 times
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Yeah, yeah, I hear ya! Dealing with some other stuff now so hobbies will have to wait. Remember how long it took for the book to come out? Well... This way, we'll always something to do... 8) Right now I'm really trying to find 8x15 Compomotive MO's. Seeing no results, I'll probably buy and use use the new 7.5x16 MO's on sale here for street use with 888/R1R/T1 and put the slicks on the 8x15's now on the 24v car. I'd like to standardize on one diameter but no luck so far. I insist on Compomotives as they can fit the 310mm brakes. In the meantime, I'm trying to sell the Magnesium Speedline Corse 8x16's, as they're not suitable for street use -especially Greek streets.... :roll: Hmmm, why did I buy them in the first place?
Jim K.
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

Jim,

also look for 5x100 wheels, the compomotive TH2, I'm using, are sometimes on Ebay uk.
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

5x100 in 15", that's probably gonna be a MK3 VR6 setup. Probably look up some VW forums?
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Yes I do look at 5x100 as an alternative but haven't come across anything so far.
Jim K.
Caufield
Silver
Silver

Post by Caufield »

Any update neighbour :?:
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

On the wheels front not much is new, still waiting on that Kevin character... :mrgreen:
Will post about engines elsewhere when I have something actual.
The coilover stuff is still sitting in the shop neglected. I want to finish engine things first before I get back to it. Can't deal with too much crap at the same time... especially in the summer! The shop was closed for almost a month anyway and we all need the time for non-car related activities.
Jim K.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

WTH, what shop closes for a month? Where do you live? Greece? :mrgreen: :wall:

The shop my dad sends his car to even opens on Saturdays till 6pm!