zambon
Verde
Verde

Rear Wheel bearings

Post by zambon »

I have my De Dion out right now and I have noticed that one wheel bearing spins like a champ, while the other side spins more reluctantly. The reluctant side feels like the bearing is dry compared to the good side. I am trying to push forward and avoid the "while I have this apart" mentality, but would I be a fool not to just change this bearing right now?
I have never done one of these, but I have heard that it is not a pleasant job...
MD
Verde
Verde

Re: Rear Wheel bearings

Post by MD »

This is a major job requiring special tools and tensions. Don't even think about it, take it to a workshop that work on Alfas.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Die anyone know that the wheelbearing is exactly the same size as one from a bmw e30?

You just miss that special left or righthand threaded nut that you need for the alfa.
Drive it like you stole it...
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

I have done this job on one car with all the right workshop tools and I can tell you it's a bitch of a job. If you elect to do the job and ignore my caution, you will find out half way through just how much doodoo you are in especially if the bearing is seized in the housing.

Anything is possible. All depends on your pain threshold.

Buona fortuna.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Yep , as MD said its tough job but you need four tools to do it especially when their stuck as the torquing figures were 250nm on nut on bearing shaft and 300nm on locking ring . These I found in the manual . Add a bit of rust and you won't get them out with out the following .
1) gas bottles to get it red hot to kill the rust. Without the heat you will damage the threads .
2) heavy duty air impact driver
3) Alfa socket as in pic
4) the bearing puller
5) wire brushes to remove all visible rust on the exposed threads
6) note left side locking ring is OPPOSITE thread . The hub nut is still normal .

To install make sure housing has been sanded with fine water paper and greased to you can easily pull the bearings in . Also check all locking rings fit and you have the correct ring for the LEFT side ( opposite thread) . It took me five hours last week to do job and got some strong chap without a dodgy back to torque it up for me . Some pics of the tools.
I will post into thread under my build as this Dedion has cut outs in and is reinforced.

If you don't have tools you can make up the locking ring tool using bits of angle iron about 5mm thick. You then weld a bold to it so you can put on a socket . I did this before and no problem but you must make it accurate as you don't want it to fly out and hit you . You still need huge heat though . Bearing puller you can make up but again needs to be accurate .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (207.45 KiB) Viewed 6317 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (212.92 KiB) Viewed 6317 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (177.79 KiB) Viewed 6317 times
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

To add to the fun-factor there are two different types of lock rings...
As I remember it the left side is left hand threas and vice versa.

I can sometimws still feel a slight weird feeling in my left index finger from when I did this job on my race car and managed to hit the finger dead on with a 5Kg mallet and the bearing housing as a vise... Ouch. :?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

I managed to snap a stud on my rear hub. I think I will ask a shop to do it then. I've got better things to do then swear at my car.