75evo
Verde
Verde

Front wheel bearing modification ideas

Post by 75evo »

Anyone have any ideas? I think the front wheel bearing setup is kind of too old skool. Has anyone adapted a newer bigger sealed type which can take more abuse?

I believe MR2Zig suggest using High Temp 105, but I don't know if that will help too much for track cars.

Wes, the guy who owns the Lemons GTV6 24V adapted a front hub and hweel bearing setup from a Ford Cronw Victoria.

I thinking maybe a rear hub from an Audi TT FWD 180 bhp would work for the front of our cars.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Re: Front wheel bearing modification ideas

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

For my giulia i made an adapter that takes a bmw e36 front hub.

The bmw uses a double row ball bearing.

Adapter is made with a press fit for the original bearing surfaces.it is secured by the original nut. The bmw hub slides onto the adapter which has It's owns thread for the bmw nut.
Drive it like you stole it...
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

What is your intended stud pattern?

JazigK on AlfaBB and Alfaclubvic and I have been looking at using FC (Series 4/5) RX7 Turbo front hubs.
They're aluminium and very light but still use the old school tapered roller bearing arangement with a lip seal rather than much nicer dual angular contact bearing cartrage.
The bearing are larger tho and would definitely require an adapter sleeve for the much larger inner bearing and hopefully a suitable bearing exists for the outer bearing as the Alfa's stub axle is only 1mm smaller in diameter than the RX7's.
The hub mounting face does look to have a different offset to the Alfa's, partly because the RX7 uses the usual brake rotor mounting style, but I haven't looked that far into it yet.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

I remember Jazig trying to fab up something with his work's CNC. Didn't finish it I think.

I would like 5x100mm since my wheels are 5x100. So I was toying with the idea of the rear hub of an Audi TT FWD.

I will look into the FC/FD front hub and maybe redrill it to 5x100. Otherwise I have to sell all my 5x100 wheels.
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

75evo wrote:I remember Jazig trying to fab up something with his work's CNC. Didn't finish it I think.

I would like 5x100mm since my wheels are 5x100. So I was toying with the idea of the rear hub of an Audi TT FWD.

I will look into the FC/FD front hub and maybe redrill it to 5x100. Otherwise I have to sell all my 5x100 wheels.
He made his 5x114.3 rear hubs, but the fronts never eventuated, yet. Life and stuff got in the way I'd say.

You certainly wouldn't be redrilling the FC hubs, there's not enough material to drill a completely different PCD set of holes.
FD hubs are different, but I've not seen them in the metal, only ebay pics.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

This is my solution on my giulia. 5x120 pcd. I have a modified bmw rear suspension on the car, so it's got 5x120 all around.

The E36 rear hubs are the same outer diameter as those from a transaxle. You can press them in the original transaxle wheelbearing.switching to bmw pcd gives a lot of wheel and brake options..
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

105 uprights??? Tell us more.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

They're from my giulia... :wink:

Just showed them as an example of what can be done.

https://youtu.be/I4VSLGygPUc

Not a giulia for the purists.. :wall:
gtv-racer
Platinum
Platinum

Post by gtv-racer »

Nice to see it running Remco.
Cool machine!