akilljoy
Silver
Silver

Shock absorber questions

Post by akilljoy »

Hi , my '86 gtv6's old shocks are a little done. I want to get some new ones and there are some used AVOs avalible. They have dampener adjustments and look in resonable shape. They are a good price too. I tried to do a little research and it looks like AVOs dont have a good reputation. I can get bilsteins , but then im into it like 600 bucks after shipping. Can i get some adivice. Thanks. :)
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Re: Shock absorber questions

Post by KevinR »

My friend had a set of AVOs on his race car and were really good . He tested them on a shock dyno to make sure their adjustments were equal to other shocks . Problem with used shocks you don't know . Try see if you can get them tested and at what cost . I have custom blisteins on my car but most guys here prefer the Konis as they " seem" to be more forgiving on the B roads .
akilljoy
Silver
Silver

Post by akilljoy »

Thanks man. Its good to hear someone was using them. :)
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

I was once given a set of free Bilsteins. I soon realized why. Teeth shattering stiff. And they were a very rare inverted style set (for the fronts). That means the body was attached to the frame of the car and the rod was attached to the lower a-arm.

I also had Avos, which were OK.

But Konis for an all-round good set. Koni yellows, not Koni reds.
akilljoy
Silver
Silver

Post by akilljoy »

Thanks so much for the info!