zambon
Verde
Verde

coil over options

Post by zambon »

What are the options for front coil over conversions. I know that people really like the RSR kit, but I am starting to think about being rid of the torsion bars in order to achieve greater simplicity. Please feel free to tell me if you think this is a bad idea.
I know that there are problems with front end flex in cars that use coil overs. I would like to have the seams in my engine compartment welded. Has anybody done this? Would that sufficiently eliminate flex to allow the use of coils only? I guess I will start a companion thread about that...

So the question here is: other than the RSR, what coilover options exist? How do people who have them rate these systems?
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Im all for a coilover setup.Well planned and executed it beats the torsions by far...
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Hey Baz,

What about your KW?

I saw on alfapower.nu a regular bilstein shock with what looks to be glued/epoxied threaded sleeves.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Zman,Ive stopped all the goodies as a result of the ...well,lets call it the unpleasantries we went through....dead and burried.....Its easy to make sleeves for a std shock though....
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Z: Not glued, sleeve with flange resting on the top of the shock.
Rallycross guys next door make their own sleeves which clamps to the shock, very tight fit to get the clamping forces evenly distibuted.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Here's an answer to the question:

YES, there are several options. RSR is the only one I know of which is off the shelf and definitely tuned to increase performance.

All serious shock manufacturers make coil overs. Then you can do them yourself from normal shocks.

Mine are from Bilstein and I'm really happy with them. Torsion bars removed and a full "bus proof" roll cage installed.
gtv11636
Gold
Gold

Post by gtv11636 »

Hope I wouldnt raise up any anger becous I asked this more then once before but - Whats about strat brace? (in General, Not only for coilovers) Will this result in Cracks at some places ? Does anyone here has a long time experience with a strut brace on a GTV ?(without any other changes or strengthnings to the chassis)
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Ive not used a strut brace on our cars ,but Im of the opinion that fitting one will be of no detriment.It will either enhance or lookk pretty sitting there.....A win win situation all round I think.....
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

A question for Micke: The HankookZ2000 is available here in 195/50-15 size. Can I use it for my 1400kg 3liter??? (with 7x15 MO's). What I wonder about is tire load capacity.. what happens when the pig is cornering (load transfer etc). Please enlighten us! Am I looking at very fast wear rate? So far I have run Yoko A038 (best) and Bridgestone 540S both 205/50-16 on 7x16 MO's.
Jim K.
gtv11636
Gold
Gold

Post by gtv11636 »

Barry wrote:Ive not used a strut brace on our cars ,but Im of the opinion that fitting one will be of no detriment.It will either enhance or lookk pretty sitting there.....A win win situation all round I think.....
Thanks Barry! :D

But...Wont it Force down forces from the Upper shock towers to ther lower attachment to the body (a beams) ?

I think Someone in this Forum once said He had Cracks becous of a strut brace, I cant remember who was that guy. :roll:
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Mats,
I seem to recall that you were singing the praises of the all coil-over arrangement on some other thread. You stated that you have it on your race car. What modifications were made? What components does your car use? Is the employment of a full roll cage all that I need to do here?
James
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

this system seems to be nice enough
http://www.bilstein.com/html/applicatio ... /index.htm
if combined with the correct spring rates and so forth.
The set for a VW golf is only$1300 at neuspeed.com.
likely it would be considerably more if I had toget a custom set up. Does anyone know if this is a possibility?
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Jim,

I cannot give a real good answer due to lack of experience from these. A couple of points though:

Z2000 is no longer manufactured so check build date.

Z211 which is the successor was the fastest tire in the last Sport Auto test of semi slick tires.

195 is pretty small for 1400 kg so they will probably wear quite fast and might get temperature problems. Take a bigger tire if possible (wider and bigger diameter). They should be reasonable anyway, so if price is right why not.
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

I have a strut brace and although I don't expect any miracles it won't hurt either. i already added a rubber bush to attach to the engine. this will keep it from rocking.

I cannot believe that the brace would add cracking.
Attachments
strut brace.jpg
strut brace.jpg (62.9 KiB) Viewed 9893 times
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

zambon wrote:Mats,
I seem to recall that you were singing the praises of the all coil-over arrangement on some other thread. You stated that you have it on your race car. What modifications were made? What components does your car use? Is the employment of a full roll cage all that I need to do here?
James
Yes, coil-over is definetly the way to go, on a racecar.
Lots of weight gone, easy to adjust and change spring rate.

Streetcar, why bother. :wink: You can't ever have the same springrate as you would want on a racecar and so on so just keeping it simple and less stuff to break is a good start for a streetcar.

My car has a full rollcage, strut brace, tubular control arms, coilovers of unknown brand and some other stuff.
It's complete B**ch to drive on the street but a dream on the track. :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!