75_QV
Silver
Silver

rear wheels off center?

Post by 75_QV »

Hello!
I am new to this forum. I also have just purchased an 88 Milano Verde and noticed (after a week of ownership) that the rear wheels are not exactly centered with the body. It is hard to notice, it even went unnoticed by the Alfa mechanic who did a pre-purchase inspection on it. Basically the passenger side rear wheel seems to be closer to the well's edge compared to the driver's side wheel (about an inch difference). I don't know if it's the entire axle that is shifted, but i'd like to know if it's common / normal/ fixable etc.
Car runs smoothly with no handling issues. Also the car is supposedly accident free (mechanic confirms and I ran Carfax with clear results).
Thanks you very much!!
'88 Verde
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

You could have bent arms in your watts linkage. Look under the rear bumber and you will see two arms that connect the chassis to the rear suspension triangle (rear solid axle). One arm connects to the top of center pivot the other arm connects to the bottom of the pivot. the center of the pivot connects to the triangle. If one of your arms is bent, I think that the result would be a misaligned rear axle.
You can replace these parts easily enough, I imagine. You might even consider going with a performance set if you are looking to upgrade.
Anyway, that is my guess. I will try to find some pics for you if I can.
good luck and welcome to the board :)
James
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

All the South African gtv`s and Alfettas look to be ofset this way.Its something that we picked up in the 80`s already.No need to panic-check out more cars and you will find that most of them are this way.My current Giulietta is like this and the centerline and squareness of the 4x wheels have been checked and confirmed to be ok.The "axle" seems to be over to the rightside looking from the rear....
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Here is a link that you might find useful since you are a new alfa owner/mechanic:
http://www.users.on.net/~craigf/
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Z,thanks for the link-my first visit there..
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
75_QV
Silver
Silver

Post by 75_QV »

Thanks for your feedback!
I checked the watts linkage... no bent arms.
However it's reassuring to know that it's not uncommon in transaxle cars. I just thought that an inch was a bit much.
My Verde will be in the shop next week, so maybe I can have the alignments checked as well.
'88 Verde
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

looked at my dedion...mine seems to be off to one side as well.
Oh well, cant see it from the driver´s seat.
75_QV
Silver
Silver

Post by 75_QV »

Got my Milano back from the shop... well, turns out the entire DeDion assembly is one inch offset!! Mechanic told me the car most likely hit a curb or something in it's past history and could definetely use some frame adjustment. A fairly minor fix he says, yet I'll probably have to drop a grand or more at the body shop... ouch!
'88 Verde