O god please no....

Please no my car is faster then your car here. :P
Crossposting is really weak too. ;)

/Mats AKA BigSwede.
MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Post by MerrilGordon »

I don’t know Mats, I enjoyed reading the cross post, but it’s really tough comparing Alfetta/GTV6/Milano/75’s to E36M3s or other cars for that matter.

I think the best way to evaluate one’s improvements against another car is to have the other car be driven and owned by a friend. That way you can closely evaluate each others improvements as well as driving skills. Just like our Alfas, some of the other cars are moving targets. And I know from my own driving experience that extra seat time can really drop ones lap times.

I do like getting out there with the other cars and seeing how I do against them. I’ve been to track days with something like four E36M3’s in which all had different setups. All the cars were faster than my GTV6, although one of the drivers wasn’t. One day a very nice Maserati B-turbo showed up. It was just a little faster, but then I never saw it again. If the car and driver haven’t changed their capabilities since then I’m pretty sure I’d be a little faster. Wish it would show up. I attended a track day last June that had three E46M3’s. Two were driven by novices and were quite slow. Kind of a waste of a quick car I thought. Would like to see some E30M3s but they are not showing up at the Alfa sponsored events. Maybe there are a few at BMW track days. I think a stock E30M3 would be a tough match against my car, if there is such a thing anymore.

Merril
82 GTV6 3.0
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

While M3's are a bit faster than most GTV6's, they do seem to end up in the wall pretty frequently! I've seen two such accidents at PC involving E36 M3’s just this year. Perhaps they are a bit less forgiving on the edge of adhesion.
Michael
1981 GTV6
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

To me a major part of the fun of a track day is getting to 'beat' cars that you know are faster than your own if they were both driven by drivers of equal ability.

This last one I did at Zwartkops was major fun for me.On my first stint I came out of the hairpin just behind a Porsche 928,pulled alongside him on the long right hander ( 140km/h entry )and passed him easily before braking for the next corner off the back straight.Great feeling.Next time out I hooked up with an E36 M3.He was running Bridgestone track day tyres on the rear but Goodyear Eagle F1's ( The latest type)in front.He took me on the back straight because I had a slower run out of the hairpin as I got slowed by a Lotus 7,but was quicker than him through the corner,just about pegged him on the run up to the Table Top ( Hit 165km/h before braking for a tight 90 ) where he proceeded to out brake himself. :) Good clean fun with no damage to the BMW.

After that I was chasing down another chap in a Porsche Carrera 4S ( 996 ).He pitted as I was setting him up for a pass... :(

I don't presume to be any great shakes at the wheel but I just go out there and enjoy my GTV6 and count myself lucky I don't drive some dull as dish water econo box.
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Fernando wrote: After that I was chasing down another chap in a Porsche Carrera 4S ( 996 ).He pitted as I was setting him up for a pass... :(
I guess he was on his cool-down lap then... :) :wink:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

Mats you really like to burst bubbles dont you?

That was a good read though Fernando, go the underdog.
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Come on, it was just a tease (hence the smileys)...
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hey Mats have you got something stuck to your shoe again? :D

Half your luck Fernando. Wish I could just get a sniff of that AVGAS let alone pass someone. Only thing I've been passing lately doesn't belong on this forum but it does resemble methane. :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

No offense taken.Actually had a good laugh because I didn't think about it before,that on the 3rd lap of me chasing him he was slowing down to pit....ah well it sure felt good.Let's be honest,for those of us unable to race properly like Mats and others here,then a track day is the one time we can all pretend to be THE next big thing in racing and live the dream in a small way. :D
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

:)

Very true, no harm in it as long as nobody gets hurt/scratched...

The times I have been on the track with very fast/expensive cars I have noticed a tendency to be overly cautious on their behalf, and lets be honest, I too would be quite careful if I was driving around in two years worth of salary on a track full of maniacs in GTV6:ers... ;) :D

I have for instance passed a Ferrari 355 with a 147TS (with four people in it). haha!
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

You can compare how the 75 3.0 will do against a few cars here:

http://www.arosc.org/competitionresults ... TT0204.htm

This was with my old engine.

My new engine easily has 30-40 bhp more than the old one. It will really show at a track like Willow Springs.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Sweet, make more videos! :)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

yEah but whatever happened to Alfapower.nu?
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Guy with server went to greece on vacation - power outage - cable modem needs manual start - no other person has a key to the apartment....

He will be back tomorrow though.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!