Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

I like the scoop facing the windscreen :)

Dont flame me! :oops:
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

A scoop kinda takes away the beautiful lines on the bonnett.

Why not something where it doesnt rise above height of bonnett, but still very effective?

Also what Mats mentioned would be a great idea! :wink:

:idea: Have a fast car without telling the world/police what it is you plan on doing when you hit the street, go performance x-rad before any cosmetic changes, cos if someone dishes you for your ride, you can leave them out of ear shot!! :!:

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

So basically you will went the engine bay directly into you "fresh" air intake? :?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

No Scoop...going with jag vent
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

received Jag vent today....needs trimming and painting but will fit well
Attachments
jagvent.JPG
jagvent.JPG (160 KiB) Viewed 7823 times
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

uhhhh is it going to look right being it has no left side vent edges due to the way the bodyline on the jag is?
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

shortlife: :? ?
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

i see only 1 option..not easy but the only viable option would be to take both left and right side and cut the center of the hood side off of them set both of them in place on the gtv hole and figure out how wide you want the louvers then cut both side on an even line and weld em together........take a LONG LONG time to cut, weld, file, grind, finish, prime, fill befor they were ready to paint...not an easy task but sounds like something id do for the fun of it :lol:

or simply take both of em cut em down the middle and weld em back together leaveing you with 2 sets to work with one recessed louver opening and one protruding louver opening..either way ALOT of work...but fun type of work
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Don't most serious hot rod shops have louver presses? It seems to me that would be a whole lot easier. Then again, I have never tried to find a shop with that type of press.
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

if you were in cali id say yes you could find multiple shops that could do any length louver....but the average hod rod shop only has die stamp setups and not rollers for custom length
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Ahh, that makes sense.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

I am not sure I know what you guys are talking about, Jag louvers are almost 8.5 inches wide, and with some trimming of the surround, will fit nicely.....
Attachments
jag.jpg
jag.jpg (84.22 KiB) Viewed 7772 times
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Which way will you put it in? Louvres up or recessed?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

guess maybe that grey shot screwed with my eyes but i saw the edges of the louvers blending into the roll of the old hood and not being punched at that side
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

That will probably look pretty good.

I measured temperatures on my grey supercharged car with and without the plastic hood piece installed. We drove it this way in normal traffic and running hard at Texas Motor Speedway in 100F heat.

When the car was moving there was no difference in either coolant temp or intake air temp. However there was a measurable in air intake temps after the car was parked for a short period of time.

For example when driving around off boost with an outside air temp of 80F the air temp in the plenum would be about 105F (remember on my supercharged car the air has to travel all the way around the engine bay and through the blower so it picks up some heat). It would stay down at 105F all the time as long as I stayed off boost. Now if I stopped and went into a store and came out an hour later, heat soak would cause everything in the engine bay to get hotter. This heat would be transfered into the intake and cause the intake air temp to be around 130F or more! It would take a few miles of driving to get it back down.

Removing the plastic piece, or I suspect using the louvers, greatly reduced this heat soak effect. So, while it didn't help at the track, it does help in the stoplight gran prix if the encounter happens after a shopping stop.