Alfaboy1970
Silver
Silver

Rust in inner sills and footwell

Post by Alfaboy1970 »

Hi

I have been stripping my car down for a full restoration and I have found as somewhat expected rust. The passenger and drivers floorpans as they join the inner wheelwell and inner rail have both been repaired in the past. I would like to have all of these areas repaired properly but wonder if they can be done within a reasonable budget and to a high standard. I have seen that iner and outer sills can be bought at highwood alfa in the uk. Has anbody used done this sort of work before?

thanks
Alfasud Ti 1977
Lancia Beta Coupe 2000hf
Alfa Romeo GTV6 3.0
tmundy
Silver
Silver

Post by tmundy »

Hi

I have the same problem as you although I think the amount of rust I have in small by comparison. I was deciding between paying someone to do it (Alex Jupe) or doing it myself. I would get much more joy doing it myself but do not have the required skills. At the moment I am going with option 2 and to help me I start evening school in September to learn panel beating.

Out of interest where are you based?
Thanks
Tony Mundy
1983 GTV6
Alfaboy1970
Silver
Silver

Rust in inner sills and footwell

Post by Alfaboy1970 »

Hi Tony

I am based in dorset and I have spoken to alex jupe about getting the inner front wings done and this he reckons will cost £1500, this includes respraying them to match the original colour of the car but I am going to have the whole car stripped to bare metal and resprayed from scratch a different colour. however I now have the sills to do also and this is all going to cost extra so i was wondering how much more it might be. I know that repair panels for the inner wings are £80.00 each so i wonder how many hours labour is actually required, alex's rates are about fifty pounds an hour approx so thats seems to mean thats alot of manhours if you do the maths.
Alfasud Ti 1977
Lancia Beta Coupe 2000hf
Alfa Romeo GTV6 3.0
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

Re: Rust in inner sills and footwell

Post by Paul Bird »

Hi Alfaboy, where in doeset do you live? I am in Poole (broadstone) we could get together and swap info if you like. I have nearly finished a full rebuild of my GTV6, it has just been resprayed,I did all my own welding ect.

Hi Tony, how are you?

Cheers
paul.
tmundy
Silver
Silver

Post by tmundy »

Mr Bird how are you sir?

Not had much chance this year to do that much work on mine. My Mother passed away in March and have spent a lot of time dealing with her effects. I started again last month on the car taking of all the old underseal to find anymore rust, thankfully I have not found any Yet. Unfortunately my plan to do a course did not happen so at the moment I am in limbo with the rust situation. Do I learn teh skills or have it done for me.

We must get together again, I see in another thread you have painted you car, shoud be on the road soon I guess.

Cheers, Tony
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

Post by Paul Bird »

Hi Tony, great to hear from you, it's been a while. Sorry to hear about your mother, I hope you manage to sort everything out.

I had my GTV6 resprayed last week by a local body shop, pretty good job for the price of a grand or so, Panther metalik black, more pics to come when I get to the garage next.

Yes, we must get together again soon, we have moved since I saw you last, only a couple of miles up the road from the last place but much nicer. If you ever need anything done on your GTV6 and I can help please let me know, I will be happy to help.

Paul.
tmundy
Silver
Silver

Post by tmundy »

Hi Paul,

Does your new place have a chin up bar in the door frame that I can hit my nut on?

Cheers, Tony
Thanks
Tony Mundy
1983 GTV6
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

Post by Paul Bird »

No chin up bar yet, I havnt had time to put up!

Paul.