planetmojo
Silver
Silver

Windshield wipers on GTV6

Post by planetmojo »

Howdy,

I doubt that anyone is really happy with the performance of stock wipers on the GTV6, in a serious downpour!

Is there a chance that anyone knows if there is an aftermarket motor... or a swap from a US, Euro, or Japanese car that possesses a higher speed, and is also an easy swap out?

I cant be the only one with this complaint.

Cheers,
Peter

peter@chrysalisdesign.net
MD
Verde
Verde

Re: Windshield wipers on GTV6

Post by MD »

What an interesting question. I must say that is the last frontier that doesn't seem to get a lot of horsepower rating but it should. You are dead right. There is nothing like a good set of wipers that work really well. It's not that the GTV wipers are that bad, it's more like, there are a lot better ones out there with more features.

Totally agree, would like to see a "modernised" set of wipers project done. And while you are at it why not fit a rear wiper too to that huge hatch window !

I am afraid the best I can do is say that the heart of my wiper system came from a 128 Fiat because the original one died in a remote location and so I pulled into the nearest used spare parts place and ripped one out of a low milage Fiat and it fitted prefectly and being a Marelli, it essentially is the same and its still doing a good job too.

(just a quiet wisper but this should be in the electrical topic set but I thought I dont want to put too strong a point on it first up)
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Look no further, would you like the latest in Beam Blade technology..?

The flexy wipers you saw on merc's afew years ago, well everyone makes them now, i'm just about to put a set on my car, PM me if your interested and i'll send a set out for you..? :)

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
Al_Cam
Silver
Silver

Post by Al_Cam »

Just for the record, It bucketed down here on Saturday, so on Sunday I pulled the wiper motor gearbox apart, cleaned out all the old grease and re-greased. I tried to do the wiper arm pivots/bushes as well, but I couldn't get the little circlip type thingies off, so I just kept squirting in WD40. Those are still a little stiff.

I thought I'd be scientific, so I timed 10 swings of the wipers on high speed with the blades off the glass.

Before: 12.78 sec
After: 12.58 sec :roll:

-So I guess the issue is the speed of the motor and the gearbox ratio. You could perhaps re-wind the motor for higher speed, but that often means sacrificing torque which is probably an issue here. Probably easier to find a whole replacement motor and gearbox assembly. There's plenty of room to mount it and as long as you get the rotating arm the same length...

But then how often does it rain any more?

AL
Al Campbell
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Ah ok, motor lol, mine is still good, but my 31 yr old Fiat's is much better, strange that..? :lol:

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.